Fuel level float replacement

Batman

Reaction score
My truck has started with some erratic readings on my fuel level gauge (factory). I've done some research, and it looks like the float assembly goes rather frequently on these trucks.

I have a 2001 1 ton w/120k miles on it.

Well, I ordered a replacement from Dodge. The parts guy at the dealer told me that the float I purchased has had 2 revisions to it. So it looks like Dodge may have corrected this issue.

Anywho, I'm probably going to do this over the coming weekend.
Any suggestions?
Anything to watch out for?

Thanks
George

Tex56

Reaction score
let us know what happens. My fuel level indacator is also possessed.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I haven't done mine yet - From what I have read on the net it's a pretty straight forward thing - just lift one side of the bed up to gain access, everyone that had done it says it's easier than dropping the tank.

Batman

Reaction score
I hadn't heard about lifting the bed. But, in my case, lifting the bed would be too difficult, I also have rails for my fifth wheel hitch.

Dropping the tank wasn't bad. I had less than 5 gallons of fuel in it. 2 bolts for the straps, fill hose, vent hose, supply and return lines, and one electrical connector.
I took my time, and it took about 3 hours. We had a pretty bad thunderstorm at the time, so me and a buddy of of mine that was helping lost about 1/2 of that time to b.s.
It was straight forward from there. However, I couldn't believe the amount of junk that was inside the "canister" (if that's what you call it). Mine had what looked like trimming from when the tank was made (black plastic).
I cleaned it all out, re-installed everything, and the gauge works again.
The toughest part of the job (I found) was the electrical connector and the stock fuel return fitting (I had previously replaced the supply line when I installed the FASS pump). I probable fooled with these stupid things for about 30 minutes.

Anywho, that was it.
Regards,George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online