Fuel issues?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It probably will be from what little I can remember about working on vans. Just go slow, take your time, and you should be able to get the job done. Also, be sure to cover the ends of the fuel line with something to keep out any dirt that may fall inside it while you're removing and installing it.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Thanks, I would really love it if someone could take a photo from the rear of the engine showing "clearly" how the injector lines are twined together. It would help immensely since I'm mostly working by feel.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks, I would really love it if someone could take a photo from the rear of the engine showing "clearly" how the injector lines are twined together. It would help immensely since I'm mostly working by feel.

Return lines?

My 85 had a tiny tee between those two, and a dead end cap on the right rear, but i broke the tee removing the lines, so I did the crossover this way. It's been that way since early 2019 has been fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

And here's the spot it ties in.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know if you have or not, but it may help to remove the fuel filter and pedestal. Maybe it would help to go in from the front? I know that it's not easy either way that you try to remove that line.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Best I have without going back under there. The IP feed from the filter is in the middle of those lines just out of sight. The same line snakes around and is the steel line covered with rubber for protection and zip tied to the original FF locating stud.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Passenger side looking to the front.

Drivers side looking to the front.

Sorry it’s the best I have. I have found using my phone to take a photo to study before doing helps.

Can you NOT remove your doghouse easily? Are you NA or turbo’d?

Good luck. You on the western slope right now? I have line wrenches and crows feet if you’re close.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I did take the doghouse off yesterday after moving the Genny, a chainsaw, emptying the fluids "garage", and getting the passenger seat pivoted around just right. Though I disconnect the line at the filter head from the front.

Took it off again today to try to get some pics of the area and discovered that I have quite a bit of packrat mess under there on that metal pan. I tried for awhile but couldn't find a good way to clear it w/o pulling the intake, what am I missing? There has to be some way to clear debris out from under there.
Of course that mess makes me want to avoid opening up the line down there and getting grit and crap (literally) in there. I'm almost considering cutting the line somewhere in the middle and then just rubber hosing the the gap when I put it back.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score

Passenger side looking to the front.

Drivers side looking to the front.

Sorry it’s the best I have. I have found using my phone to take a photo to study before doing helps.

Can you NOT remove your doghouse easily? Are you NA or turbo’d?

Good luck. You on the western slope right now? I have line wrenches and crows feet if you’re close.
NA and in SoCal, thanks though!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Might this help? ignore the numbers and arrows, it's something I found years ago

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It looks like the line from the filter comes from the wrong side . . . truck maybe? I don't know where they keep the filter head.

oh duh.

I finally dug up a pic of the RV lines at the IP I tried to take in 2019. might not help much but here

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Shop vac with a hose extension?
I'll work on that when we get somewhere w/ power (and a shop vac).

So I ended up cutting the hardline and then w/ the upper part in hand could actually see the olive, it was pretty grim all dried up and brittle. Got that out, a new one on the line and then bridged the cut w/ a bit of extra fuel line I had saved from fixing the air intrusion pre e-pump. A couple hose clamps and it's been totally dry up top.
Haven't had a chance to start it again after the first time but will be moving camp in a day or so and we'll see then if it starts better.
I do plan on doing the relocate of the filter sooner rather than later and figure I can just (temporarily) fit the new hose onto the cut hardline going to the IP.
After I figure out how to get that pan cleaned up I'll risk pulling the line off the IP and changing the fitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.