Fuel injector line giving me trouble

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heya fellas. I finally worked up the courage to tackle my return lines today... take a guess how well that went LOL

Everything was going way too smoothly, right up to the part where I'm reconnecting the metal fuel lines to the injectors. I managed to get 7 of them back on with just my fingers, but the last one just would not go on straight. The only time the nut seems to catch on the threads is when it's visibly crossthreaded, the rest of the time the threads just refuse to catch.

It's the injector on the passenger side closest to the firewall.

I took some pictures of the threads. To my incompetent rookie eyes, they look messed up near the top. How do they look to you guys?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I did at one point try some gentle persuasion with my wrench, so if they are indeed messed up, that's what did it.

So, time for a new injector? I did rent a kit to try and clean up the threads, but, again, incompetent rookie. I gotta watch some videos on how to actually use the tool, but it seems like it might be easier to just replace the injector.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Yup, that looks a little buggered. You might be able to take a file and touch up the threads on the injector. Be careful not to get any metal filings in the injector. I always start the line nuts on by hand. Some times it takes a little doing. You might have to force the line forward/backward or side to side, but they always go on.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I very gently run a die over the threads with finger pressure only to clean them up. I don't remember the size off the top of my head...

I'd pull it out of the truck and file off the real bad spot, then run a die over it. Make damned sure the inlet/overfow holes are plugged

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ouch!
yea man, thats what happened!
these are some of the worst threads ive encountered.
they designed the threads pretty coarse, but with the metal lines it does make it a pita.

all is not lost! you need o find a shallow v type file cleaning up the injector.

it may be easier to pull the injector completely, and use come cotton or other substance in the hole so you dont get metal shavings in it.

once you get past the f'd up part, it should still hold.
how old are the injectors?
may be ideal to purchase another set if there old....

good luck man!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted a knife edge file can fix this. Try to loosen this injector line at the pump so you have some slack play in the line. hand tighten almost all the way down on the threads. Thats the best way to keep from cross threading lines to injectors. BTW the line nut is a much harder material than the injector is. Odd design but it works.. You can slip a 5/8 box wrench over the line nut and slightly bend the line to fit better too.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pull the injector out later today and see if I can work any magic on it. I did briefly try to file it yesterday, but that was with the injector still in the truck, I probably did more harm than good there. I'll see how it looks today and decide where to go from there.

These injectors have been in the truck for maybe 2 months, they're R&D remans. They run great, but they were leaking on to the ground BAD, hence why I'm doing the return lines. Every single o-ring, except for maybe 1 or 2, were visibly tearing when I pulled the caps off. I wonder why they were leaking... :rolleyes:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lotsa lube on them when changing the O'rings, Viton should be your choice.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now things have gone from bad to worse. I took the old injector out, and the copper washer didn't come out with it. I'm trying to fish it out with my mini picks, but no luck so far. Anyone have some tips on how to deal with this?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
call me if you get stuck bad there. you are one of the few I'd do a road trip for.
what can I say, my stomach is my curse :D

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awful nice of you, thanks :D

I got everything put back together. I took the easy route and bought a supposedly "new" (it's not new) injector from NAPA, everything went smoothly from there. The truck is back up and running, and I'm down to 2 minor leaks instead of 8 big ones. I'll know tomorrow morning if it wants to do the start-then-die thing, but so far everything looks good.

Thank you everyone for the help ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online