Fuel heater question

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question on my 1994 7.3 idi I run biodiesel in this truck most of the time well a cold snap happened that caught me off guard. Figured no big deal I run the bio only in the rear tank had mostly #2 in the front tank so I switched it over. Noticed that the fuel filter light was coming on under a load going uphills etc, figured it was the biodiesel still in the filter. My question is how hot will that fuel heater keep that fuel filter? I have a feeling the gel from the biodiesel clogged the filter and its not getting up to temp to ungel it. The filter only has say 3000 miles on it, and I am wondering if a silicone 12volt heater will be a better option.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is a good question. I really don't think anyone knows the answer. So far I have asked this same question about the real need and how long does the filter heater really work. We have most of the fuel going thru the injecters and injection pump as coolant and lbe. Not very much is actually burned as fuel in the engine compared to whats being pumped forwards. As for the need of the filter heater I'm suspect. What temp is the fuel heated too. Well thats an unknown too. For us west coasters I really don't think its a needed item. For the cold areas that sees a sub 32 degree temp it might help but really can't say how much help it is. will be watching this for better info than I have offered.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on both accounts couldn't find much information using the search function. I should just use dino fuel in the truck because it is hardly ever used, and if i can get the bugs worked out on my 85 ford diesel I will sell this truck the crew cab is just to difficult to drive in the woods. Also I believe the previous owner may have tried straight VO in it without heat there was some junk that looked like VO goo in the filter the first time I changed it. Wouldnt be surprized if the tank has some gunk in it also. Hopefully the lift pump is not going bad last time it did this a bunch it was bad, it has only say 5000 miles on it. I will do some fuel flow and pressure tests when the filter shows up wont pay the very high prices for the wix 33417 from the local store.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say probably just your filter.

Some bio will get into your other tank from switching over. Which will send whatever junk is in there to your filter.

Are you running true station bought bio, or homebrew?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go thru alot of filters with this truck for the amount of driving it gets so figured it was an issue with the filter heater. Or is it just the fact the vehicle sits to long and the bio is gelling up forgot what that is called. It is homebrew all of it is made from soybean oil one of my suppliers just started using rice bran oil so not sure how that porduct will do. I have two other diesels that are not going thru filters this much so figured it was something with this truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who's for seeing a ripped apart fuel heater work? I don't know the first thing about these in filter head heaters what so ever so I'm thinking time to learn right guys?

Maybe have to ponder what this is about, I happen to have a few filter heads floating around here oh...I dunno...maybe five or six....could spare one tear it down, apply 12 v and stick it in a known amount of fuel and see how long it takes to raise 1 deg then another 1 deg and so on...but wow...lots of fun to be had..

Hmm...stop making me think this ***** up guys! Please stop it...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do it Al, DO IT!!! LOL :beer:

Maybe also see if it gets constant voltage, or only sometimes, etc.

I was just thinking with store bought, it shouldn't be giving any winter driveability problems.

What are the other diesels you're using it in?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that would be awesome if you would test one of those filter heaters and see what temp it turns on and off, could use an amp meter to see when it kicks on and off. Also see if it will actually heat up the filter enough to compensate for the fuel flow going thru it. On the store bought biodiesel if its 100% it will jell up at porbably the same temps depends on the type of oil used i believe canola is one of the best for cold jelling issues but its also very expensive oil compared to soybeans. You should see the biodiesel that is in my processing area the temps are in the 20s and it is pretty gelled up. The other two vehicles are a 2002 excursion and a 1985 M1009 Blazer.