Fuel Heater "O" Ring

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
For my truck, the IH part number is 1811053C1. I was able to order it from Nalley Motor Trucks here in the Atlanta area. Cost was $2.50 for the ittity bitty thing, but that is waaaay cheeper than a whole new filter head which the Ford dealer can make available. I referenced a 91 IH van for the part #. The header description on the page that was faxed to me was for a U-Haul truck. I would make those pages available on the board if I knew how.

If I knew how to measure the thing, a viton counterpart could also prolly be sourced from an o-ring supplier--McMaster.com would be a good place to start according to a reliable friend.

All that said, before I tear everything apart, does the o-ring itself fit onto the fuel heater plug or into a recess in the fuel filter head??

Knowing where it goes will be helpful when putting things back together.

Thanks in advance for your help.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Will send it over via fax tomorrow. Ignore the scribbling. It will be an "exploded" view, and a parts page with numbers to go with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mine leaked too and I think the o-ring fits into the head and not on the electrical plug. I think the plug had a small groove that helped hold things together though.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The o-ring fits onto a small groove on the heater plug from the underside.
Ya have to remove the fuel filter then the filter thread itself has to be removed. From there the heater assembly will drop right down for access to replace the o-ring. It is at most a 5 minute job.;Sweet

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
thanks.

When the wet weather moves out, I will attack the weeping o ring. Fuel filter could use a change anyhoo.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.;Really

tenlug

Reaction score
If the plastic insulator is black then there is one external O ring. If the plastic is white then there are 2 O rings, one on the outside and one internal where the spade comes thur. Been buyin my O rings from a hydraulic house. They have what they call a cone of truth to measure with. Steve

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I ordered two O rings--glad of that because my insulator plug is white plastic. I sure hope it is the same size as the black one. If not, it will be back to the drawing board for me!

Thanks for the clarification.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
My white plastic plug had a groove that took the O ring described in the first post on this thread--I could feel no additional O ring in the metal head of the filter mount, just very smoothly machined aluminum alloy--so I buckled it back together with a fresh fuel filter primed with ATF. No slobbering around the top so far! ;Sweet

It required a 32MM deep well socket to remove the brass filter mounting hub and release the heater and plug which in integral to the heater ring. Underneath the fuel filter (once I had it removed) I found the other end of the broken water sensor wire and put that back together, too. The water sensor wire is contained in the small loom that carries wires for on the other electrical connections that go to the fuel filter head.

The old O ring was flat sided and had lost its elasticity over the past 15 years--imagine!!

Thanks for your help. A $2.50 part ordered from the IH dealer and 30 minutes of looking for and using the right tools, versus a whole filter head from the Ford parts counter, which would have been their answer to the problem. Thanks again. I will try to get the schematic and the part numbers for the IH filter head faxed over to Mr. Roboto this evening.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the proceedure with diagrams availiable for download?

tenlug

Reaction score
There are 2 O rings. To get to the second one there is a tab on the spade terminal you have to bend flat, then push the heat element out the bottom of the white plastic insulator. This inner ring seals the element to the the insulator. The outter ring seals the insulator to the filter head. The black heater element can not be taken apart. tried that. Got some pic's over on the other site. Steve

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
The schematic that I still have to fax to Mr. Roboto only shows the O ring that slips around the insulator to the spade that carries the current for the fuel heater.

Hope mine stays dry. IH does not have a part number for the "second" O ring as far as I know--they will sell a new heater unit, though. Have a part number for that on the schematic.

tenlug

Reaction score
Here's the pic's of the fuel heater and location of the second O ring. It's a odd size hence the trip to the hydraulic house and the use of the cone of truth. Steve

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 43
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 39
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 44
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg