fuel guage woes

soupdog

Reaction score
Am havn problems with my fuel guage,,,,wont register from either tank,,,its a 91 extended cab f250 7.3 non turbo 4x4 5 speed with a flatbed runnin strait pipes,,,one hella bale hauler,,,but since i got it the fuel guage has never worked,,all the others do,,have tried fuses,,,everything,,,it has cost me a starter so far since i run outa fuel a few times,,,,bright side i am good at gettin it goin agin pretty quik,,,usually keep 5 gallons in the bed,,,but anywayz found no power goin to sender,,,am wonderin if the selector has anything to do with it since neither tank registers,,,really like this ole beast but it is gettin to me puttin fuel in it everytime i drive it outa fear of rrunnin out. can someone help me out here

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. It could very much be the selector valve. Take the connector off the valve, and set your ohm meter to 10 ohms. here is the pinout from memory (not always the best) Pin 1 is at the top.

1>> Motor +

2>> Motor -

3>> Tank Common

4>> One tank

5>> The other tank

So if you ohm out pins 3,4, and 5, at the very minimum if you test all the possible combinations, you should find continuity between two of the pins.