Fuel gauge pegged

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fsv seems to work , when I switch tanks the gauge reacts , but they are both pegged past full. Any ideas before I drop the tanks?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the wire colors MIGHT be different with a brick, but the concept is the same. High resistance = full peg.

(As an aside, it would be the opposite with a slantnose '83-'86, as the level-resistance relationship is reversed.)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have spare parts on hand, plug in the spares one at a time, so you can avoid opening up the tank. the FSV is possibly a bear to get to though. bottom line, your problem is in one of three areas. one) the sender. two) the FSV and three) the wiring. having a volt/ohm meter will be invaluable for this diagnosis run.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the connections at the tanks and fsv. I traced the wires from the fsv, didn't see any breaks in the wires. Could it be the gauge itself?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical lol. How would I go about doing that?

EDIT: I screwed around with it for a minute and figured out how to do it. Lol

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok , so I did some testing today. I swapped gauges, no change. If I short the fuel sender plug it makes the gauge go to empty. I ohm tested the sender while it was unplugged and nothing happened on the meter. Bad sender?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "nothing happened"? How exactly did you connect the meter? What resistance range did you set it to?

Did you continuity / ohm check the wire from the FSV to the gauge head?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if he shorted the connector at the tank and it worked, the wiring/gauge is good. Pull the sender and look at/replace it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it set to 200 or 2k ohm , can't remember , I touched the two leads coming out of the sender. The meter didn't read anything. I then shorted the 2 pins on the plug side and the gauge went to zero. I checked ohm from fsv to gauge , it read around 6 .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the senders are no longer available... ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online