Fuel Filter

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on the starter for my 89 7.3, so I'm thinking I can tend to my fuel leak on my drain connected to the w/s bowl. Can I take the bowl off the separator and examine or do I have to take the whole set up off? Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Easy. Just remove the filter. Drain it and remove the bottom cover. Then fix it any way you can. Test it over nite with diesel sitting in the bowl. If the drain looks or feels wet tomorrow its shot.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm new to diesels so I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Does a lot of fuel come out when you take it off? Some people say its best to warm it up before you mess with filter, but I can't cuz of no starter. Will it hurt it any?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wont really hurt anything. A warm engine is easier to start when your purging the air from the new filter. As for making a mess when you remove it. Well thats a possibility. Draining it as much as you can before it comes off will help keeping the mess to a minium. Refill the new filter with diesel or atf but make sure it fills from the outer ring of holes in the filter top. that way all the fuel gets filtered. any dirt getting into the large hole in the center will go directly to the injection pump. not a desirable detail at all.