Fuel filter upgrade issues???

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new raccor fuel filter head with water separator and primer pump on it. My question is how do I plumb in the hose that ties in with the fuel return system? On the factory fuel head it had the small fitting with a check ball and spring inside it do I need to price something like this together or can I do away with that line all together? Any help would be much appreciated. I am in the process of doing glow plugs moose misters and moose pump as well as new return lines and caps so if there is a certain way to route these lines to adapt in the new filter head please let me know. Any info/ pics would be great thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It depends on where you install the filter. If you install it on the 7.3 location just simply buy a fitting called a TEE and cut that into the return line system between or at the ends of the return lines. Be aware their are 2 distinct different sizes and you can't mix them up. One is the 3/16 and known as the non turbo size and the other is the 1/4 inch known as the turbo size. The non turbo has green clamps and the turbo size has red clamps. If you do away with the spring check valve line you will have to push all the trapped air in the filter thru the injection pump. It will work but it will cost plenty of cranking to purge the air. The idea of that spring and ball check valve is to allow all the air to escape from the filter. When the fuel reaches the ball it causes that ball to close off this port. Its a very good idea to have. Oregon fuel Injection sells both size check valves too. I purchased both sizes years ago.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK great thanks for the information I appreciate it. I have a check ball on the way from Oregon diesel as we speak. I'm ready to get this truck back up and running