Fuel Filter Restriction/Lift pump PSI Guage

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the guage and pod installed, me not being into raceing I set pressure at 1.5 psi at idle and it runs close to 0 normal driving. Only problem is the guage says turbo on it. Any drop in my pressure towards the vacum side will tell me it is filter time before my normal change interval.
Geno

albertm1954

Reaction score
Duramaxes are fuel suction sensitive. Anything more than 2-3 inches of vacuum at idle in neutral, slightly higher in gear, I would change the filter. Remember that the injection pump is also the " lift pump " so if your low side is restricted your pressure side is going to suffer. A frame mounted pump is not advisable do to the possibility of pushing heavy particles through the filter and into the pump and injectors and then you just bought yourself a very exspensive repair.

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
Fuel fulters and ....

I was thinking the other day the next truck is going to have a bigger tank in it so should have room for two more places to put a suction and throught a pump and filter that pulls fuel off the bottom of the tank, then returns. Of all the years that have had diesels I have never had problems with wet or dirty fuel am I just lucky or ?????:angel: or do I just bye fuel at the right place?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th diesel truck and I've never had those problems either. 'Course I live in New Mexico where there is no humidity to speak of. However, a "Nicktane" filter setup is on my wish list. At the pressures thses new pumps put out, even microcontaminents that would not affect say an IDI, eventually will affect your injectors and pump(s). That can get expensive these days.

Tom

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think you could install an electronic gauge if you have a shrader valve. installing a sending unit on the shrader valve and then a gauge in the truck, so you can watch fuel pressure while driving, because if there is an issue with a restriction in the supply then it would show itself the most under a loaded engine rather then an engine revving without a load

truckyeah1

bobbyDdiesel
Reaction score
That gauge is for determining if your lift pump is working. its recomended in the installation procedure for lift pump kits to intall. change your fuel filter once ayear no matter what