Fuel Filter Restriction/Lift pump PSI Guage

GMC-DMAX

Reaction score
Has anyone installed this gauge. This guage is mounted, when looking at the Duaramax engine, on the left side. There is a brass fitting with a black cap on it. When you unsrew the black cap, there will be a schrader valve. To my understanding this gauge snaps onto the port there, and measures vacuum between
filter(s) and pump. It is sold by www.kennedydiesel.com also there is a picture of it. I would like to know your thouhgts on this and if anone has installed; wouldn't it be better if it screw on, instead of snaps. I think it is a good way to see if your filter(s) are starting to plug.

Max Power

Reaction score
You probaly wouldn't see a restriction at idle when the filter needs replacement. So you'd have to lie under your hood at WOT to see a difference. At least that is my thoughts.

Now if it was in the cab I would think it would be of a lot more value.

Max Power

Reaction score
Here is a picture for anyone who wants to see it.

You must be registered for see images attach

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought? Filter replacement is not always dictated by a pressure drop. Inner canister rust, media deterioration and other factors lead me to change my filter at regular time/ milage intervals.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BRONCO
Just a thought? Filter replacement is not always dictated by a pressure drop. Inner canister rust, media deterioration and other factors lead me to change my filter at regular time/ milage intervals.

But this would give you a heads up that you have a real dirty filter before your normal change interval....:moon:

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a real dirty filter, my truck would run like ****. That gauge is for diagnosing a truck after it has symptoms!

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to Kennedy and it's gonna be a couple of weeks before he has any more guages in stock. What would be the ideal thing is a guage that would read vac/press that would go in your pod. Been lookin but haven't found anything yet
Geno

GMC-DMAX

Reaction score
I found a gauge that I had(30" hg to30psi) I also figure a way to do this job. I found I had a s/s reducting nipple 1/4" npt to 1/8" nft (npt=national pipe thread; nft= national fine thread ) The 1/8"nft will screw inside the brass fitting where the schrader valve is. The other end of the nipple is 1/4" npt, here I will connect a 1/4" coupling to, then the gauge. The biggest problem is I have something that is the right size and length that will push down on the schrader valve. When all the pipe pieces are together . I have a piece of plastic straw that is strong that I think will work. Or maybe just take the schrader valve out of the brass fitting altogether.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the higher readings. Never know when you are gonna go past 15 vacum and 7.5 psi.

GMC-DMAX

Reaction score
BRONCO
I know this isn't the right gauge for the job. I will mark the gauge and if I see a change in the vacuum, I will know the filter(s) are starting to plug. Also if the psi go's up I will know there is another problem. As I see it, this setup can't hurt anything, it will help me out in figuring out how the system is running.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was being serious, I could see the JK gauge being pegged in either direction ecspecially with a really dirty filter or a big lift pump. I like the gauge you mentioned with the higher readings!

GMC-DMAX

Reaction score
BRONCO
Yes I like the gauge to. It is a Racor fuel filter gauge, Part no.18-1202; At 7" vacuum the gauge is in yellow then when at 10" vacuum it in red all the way to 30" vacuum. It also reads in metric numbers.

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMC-DMAX
Workin on a unit that will go into the pod. Gonna 'T" into the line that goes to the schroeder valve then run a line to a guage in the pod. I talked to Ispro and the guage is a vac/press and you can run diesel at it. Will keep all informed.
Geno

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting on the pod, three guage with speaker is hard to find but it's on the way.
Geno

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the guage and Pod will be here by the end of week, may get it in this week end. will take photo's
Geno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online