Fuel filter options?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the fuel filter that requires the bowl/cap that screws onto the bottom. Does anyone know if there's a signficantly taller fuel filter option out there? I don't care if it still requires the cap to be screwed onto the bottom or not. I just want one that fits the existing filter head but is significantly taller than what I have.

Thanks,
Mark

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I've got the fuel filter that requires the bowl/cap that screws onto the bottom. Does anyone know if there's a signficantly taller fuel filter option out there? I don't care if it still requires the cap to be screwed onto the bottom or not. I just want one that fits the existing filter head but is significantly taller than what I have.

Thanks,
Mark

You'd have to raise the mount to get a larger one to fit. And why? The stock size filter is fine, what's the need for the larger one?

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 with what ToughOldFord said. The IH DT444 clear bowl wont even fit on our trucks with the stock filter. I cant remember the part number off the top of my head but the IH DT444 filter is taller and i think racor may even have a taller one. Thats IF your going with a different filter head mounting bracket/location.

Merlin

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burn a variety of blended fuels depending on what I currently have "in stock". I use a wrap heater on the fuel filter. Our stock filters are only tall enough to accomodate the 100 watt heater, and I was entertaining the idea of trying to use a taller filter that would accomodate the 200 watt version. I was thinking of something like a Donaldson P551000. I'm not sure if it will fit my filter head, but it soulds like even if it does fit, I would have to move the filter head. I'm not really interested in doing anything to the existing steel fuel lines so moving the filter really isn't an option. Sounds like the idea is a bust. Oh well.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running a fuel that requires heating, you really should be running a separate fuel filter with a separate fuel system and a separate fuel tank.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running a fuel that requires heating, you really should be running a separate fuel filter with a separate fuel system and a separate fuel tank.

In an ideal world that is the best solution. However in the real world where I'm not sure how many years of service this truck has left in it, it's not worth the time and $$. The truck already has a separate fuel tank. I call it the front tank. Redoing the fuel lines, adding a heated filter, and moving the solenoid to after both filters would certainly make things better, but it would also significantly add to the cost.

The purists and internet gurus will turn their nose up and insist that you can't do it any other way, but they are wrong. They will also insist that you have to install a FPHE and preheat the fuel to over 100 degrees before the fuel hits the combustion chamber. Once again they are wrong. Ford's screwed up 2 tank design makes these old trucks an ideal candidate to run blended fuels with no modifications. The various modifications do make the truck run better and longer with fewer problems and also allow you to get the most cost benefit per gallon out of the alternate fuel, but for a truck that's starting to fall apart everywhere else, it's not worth the investment. Some will say that if you're not willing to do it the right way, then you shouldn't do it at all. What they mean to say is that we all need to put as much effort into the process as they did. Either way, they are still wrong. This truck has been my learning curve for both Diesel trucks, and for blended fuels. It was relatively inexpensive, and it's pretty tough. On the next truck, I will do it a little different. How different depends on which engine it has and how many years of service I expect to get out of it. In the mean time, I'll continue to burn my blended fuel at a cost of about $1 per gallon. :)

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do something similar, the rear tank is my "blended" tank. It was easy and cost effective to add a large pre-filter in the back and all though my climate doesn't require heating it would be easy to do. As a plus the filters can be cheaper with the right choose of mount also.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People don't realize that two tanks doesn't mean it's ready to go with alternative fuels. You start on a rear diesel tank, then switch to the front tank that has a thick blend, so now, the diesel left in the return lines is going to the front tank until everything in the system is the blended fuel. Then, when too switch back to diesel, you have your blend in all the return lines which gets returned to the diesel tank. Do this many times and it compounds to the point that you have an unwanted blend in your supposed diesel tank. I'd you climate gets cold, that can be a huge issue. Thicker fuels, whiteout proper heating, are very ******* an IP, not to mention, possibly shearing the Shaft in the IP of cold and thick enough. any savings is negated by the shortened life of an IP. an initial investment goes a long way.

Edit: even just getting a taller Donaldson fuel filter and filter head (which can be a coolant heated filter head) would allow for a taller filter wrap. I have a Donaldson filter mounted in front of and below the passenger side battery.

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
I run wmo and ATF in both my mechanical Diesel trucks .. I run a BIO-Glass filter ( all the oil is previously filtered to 5 Microns 2 times put through filters..) and then it all gets re-filtered on the trucks before going into IP.. I can get 55 gallon drums of oil for free, in the summer I mix 50/50 now with my 12V and it does smoke a bit more but thats fine .. with me N/a 7.3 I ran about 25% WMO/ATF and the rest fuel due to the amount of smoke ..

I have a filter and such i just laid it up nedt to the Blower box, and with a small bungie, it has never moved even in off road conditions..