fuel filter light

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I don't know if this has anything to do withanything or not, but I put a gallon of used oil in each tank, and shortly there after, the fuel filter light came on. I filtered the oil through a filter funnel used for auto paint. You know the one you pour the paint through into the paint gun. I dont know if that is filtered enough, but it's what I had. Any way, I had to make a 200 mile trip, and right after I left the light came on. I had to go (traffic court in another town) so I went on, and it seems to be running OK but the light is still on.
Is this a light that just periodically just comes on, or do I maybe have a little water in the filter, or is there a sending unit that indicates back pressure from a dirty filter or what? I have not changed the fuel filter since I bought the truck last fall.
Thanks,
Chuck

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep, change the filter. The temps in SC are not so low to make the fuel gel at this time of the year. A paint funnel is not nearly enough to filter engine oil which is why Your filter is clogged, it's doing it job. If ran like this for long it will start surging and then running out of fuel. You can always order the 7.3l fuel filters from filter1 (#33617) at $16 a pop with water separator included into the filter.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you are talking about the "Water in Fuel" light? And I'm also pretty sure that there is no other filter light to speak of. Your filter is not "clogged" it is just that the water bowl needs drained. You should at least open the water bowl drain while the truck is running to let the water out............that should make the light go off and will be better than doing nothing........since it has been a year I would also recommend changing the filter.
By the way I usually change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles and open the water drain every 3000 after each oil change until it is replaced. Also dont bother switching from the factory filter to the napa 3617...........I have done this the past couple of changes and I'm switching back to factory (napa 3217) next time because when you open the water bowl the fuel goes every where all over the manifold......unlike the factory setup where you can control where the spout is and it will hook to a small hose to direct the fuel.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect it is just a coincidence, and that your filter needs to be serviced. I've been dumping more or less unfiltered WMO in the Moosestang for over a year with no ill effects. Sometimes as high as 50/50 mix. I don't have a WIF light, so I just drain or change my filter on a schedule. :dunno

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Its not a WIF light. Light says "fuel filter". Is this the water in fuel light?

Chuck

2manydsls

Reaction score
I believe the above light is a filter change light. The filter housing on the newer IDI's have a vacuum type switch which operates when the demand from the injection pump creates a partial vacuum in the output line from the filter housing, caused when the filter becomes partiallly clogged. Possibly the partially thicker fuel was just enough to finish it off. There should be a seperate water in fuel light.

Mel, do you have any info stashed on your using WMO as far as: mileage change, extra smoke, power change, ect.?
Ross

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Its not a WIF light. Light says "fuel filter". Is this the water in fuel light?

Chuck

Hmmm........guess mine never came on long enough for me to notice.....I'll have to take a look to see if there are two lights concerning filters.
I have had the water in fuel light come on before but never had the "fuel filter" light come on. I'll pay close attention to see if it lights up when i start her next time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This are two different sensors, one for the fuel filter (the one You see now) in case it is running out of fuel and the other when it detects water in the fuel, this one is located at the bottom of the filter screwed in the water bowl.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Change filters...yes.
2 separate lites & switches.
On my '90 the "Fuel Filter" lite comes on down low rt hand bottom below my tac in instrument panel. 2manydsls said it right. This is a vacuum switch set at 7in Hg(+/- 1.5in) that comes on to tell you "it's time to change"

My "Water In Fuel" lite is down low rt hand by the "Wait To Start" glowglug lite. However I disconnected this switch because I changed & went to different filter set-up....cheaper & works & available everywhere.
Fleetguard # 3930618s Fuel filter head $22.85
FF105 Small Cummings Fuel Filter $5.03
FS1000 Large Cummings Fuel/Water Seperator $12.37
I run these on my 7.3, my D6Cat, Backhoes.....trying to rig one on the wifey's wheelbarrow. haha

And way I figure it, it's really hard for me to get any water to that filter because I added 2 other filters & Cat water trap screen between tanks down on frame. My last filter before IP lasts forever....nearly.

As far as WMO, the crowd I run with has too many "Curious Inquiring Minds Need To Know" so to test, there was about 10 tanks of 100% WMO run last summer.....ran OK Heated....& it wasn't strained that well either!
(I think this crowd will try run anything that lites with a match)
And some "throw-away IP's" were used in testing, just in case they cratered.
Did smoke a bit, @ 100% like a wore out engine when WOT. 50/50 like kinda wore out @WOT. mileage...well...so-so, power....OK, like a mad striped ape!!:rotflmao
just my $.0002 cents

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, do you have any info stashed on your using WMO as far as: mileage change, extra smoke, power change, ect.?
Ross

Not really Ross. I don't track it that much since it's "free fuel". I just dump it in whenever I feel the need. I usually fill up, run the tank down to 3/4, and start dumping it in. I'll fill it up again with WMO, then let it run down to a half, and probably fill it up to 3/4 again. Then I'll ride it out till it's time to visit the diesel pump again. You can bet there is a little more smoke under load, and it smells bad like others attest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin