Fuel filter light stays on after filter change

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently changed my fuel filter on my 1993 Ford f250 7.3 n/a all stock filled it with ps/atf/seafoam turn it on few minutes left over night ran it next day but it stumbled the whole time about the fuel filter light stays on fresh fuel still had a little old fuel but figured 15 fresh gallon would of worked the old out. At a loss here n my fuel filter choice was a 33617 no bowl style even set a spare one on a well still same result no matter what tank any advice will be appreciated

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an absence of fuel pressure to me. IIRC, that fuel filter sensor just detects lack of fuel pressure at the filter outlet.

Mine will turn on if I forget to turn on my electric fuel pump.

Air intrusion... Filter empty? Get healthy squirt at the Schrader valve?

Something is not right in the fuel system. Gotta be some sort of blockage or sucking air in. Time for your hose and jug. This is when it sure is nice to have an electric pump.

I love those plastic 1.75 Liter whisky jugs for this sort of thing. They are tough, have well made caps, pretty immune to chemical attack, some designs are more gravitically stable and don't tip over as easily as soda pop bottles. What I hate are those bottles made with that plastic that deteriorates in a year, like bleach or milk bottles, which disintegrate and make one helluva mess.

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Like beast said low pressure will also trigger the light. I would look at maybe you fuel pump starting to fail

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like beast said low pressure will also trigger the light. I would look at maybe you fuel pump starting to fail
Had fuel pump replaced 7 months ago with other matinence it only has 200 miles on it the strange thing is I can not go over 30 miles per hour now with out it shutting or turn key back wait a few minutes it restarts and the high idle takes like ten minutes now it seems.

I spent s over $500 7 months ago on fuel pump new fuel filter oil change starter GP's n hp controller had one of my little brothers grey beard idi owners who also been dealing with diesels longer the I've been alive do all the work since it needed work n at one point only started with a sniff of wd 40.

Just gonna save half my next paycheck n half my taxes when they come in order stuff from @Thewespaul and reduce everything I am able to using the site plus youtube.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered this fuel pump I'm assuming the 30 GPh is good enough and should not be hard to replace since I have no idea how to do it but figured utube videos helps going to replace fuel filter again as well as glow plugs only other stuff that I'll have to take to my brothers shop to replace is sending units since I have no helper
Precision Fuel Pump
Part #:

M23003

Line:

PFP
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆1 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for Precision Fuel Pump
(3)
$30.99 Each
FREE Pick Up in Store
In Stock

Ship to Home

Add to Shopping List

Mechanical Fuel Pump
Electric Or Mechanical: Mechanical
Flow Rate (GPH): 30 GPH
Number Of Ports: 1
In-Tank Or External: External
Inlet Diameter (in): 3/8 Inch
Outlet Diameter (in): 5/8 Inch
Inlet Diameter (mm): 9.5mm

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Ordered this fuel pump I'm assuming the 30 GPh is good enough and should not be hard to replace since I have no idea how to do it but figured utube videos helps going to replace fuel filter again as well as glow plugs only other stuff that I'll have to take to my brothers shop to replace is sending units since I have no helper
Precision Fuel Pump
Part #:

M23003

Line:

Mechanical Fuel Pump
Electric Or Mechanical: Mechanical
Flow Rate (GPH): 30 GPH
Number Of Ports: 1
In-Tank Or External: External
Inlet Diameter (in): 3/8 Inch
Outlet Diameter (in): 5/8 Inch
Inlet Diameter (mm): 9.5mm

Hate to tell you, but that pump has a high failure rate, so it seems. Read the reviews:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...db8e3f0135/precision-fuel-pump/m23003/4615757

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Advanced auto had a Delphi brand will set that to order then and cancel this one then the local napa is doing repairs to there building so can't order there

For some reason, there is a "gasoline" Delphi pump that fits IDIs too. When I bought a spare pump "just in case" for the 500+ miles to get back here to convert to electric, the AutoZone out in West Texas had the "gasoline" one (has 2 blue gaskets) on the shelf, so I bought it. The "diesel" one has a singe black gasket, according to the picture.

Thankfully, I ended up not needing to use the pump and returned it within 30 days, so I can't speak of it's quality.

I have no clue what the internal difference is between the two pumps. The visual difference is the colors are reversed between the top and bottom. Diesel top is silver/bottom is gold. Gas top is gold/bottom is silver.

Either pump is probably fine though, considering people like me are running Holley electric pumps that aren't listed as being for diesel use.

From AutoZone's site with an my 85 IDI set as the vehicle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
And before you go replacing the pump again... you might want to go invest in one of these. They are cheap enough even without a 20% off coupon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Fuel-Pump-and-Vacuum-Tester-62637.html

You can test both the low pressure portion of the fuel system (pre-IP) and the vacuum system with it. I bought it for the vac system last year but ended up using it for fuel this year.

I attached it to my stock fuel filter head by removing the bleeder valve core (it unscrews like a tire valve) and just shoving the hose onto the fitting. It fits so tight that no clamp is needed and no fuel leaks. Then you can see what sort of fuel pressure your current pump is putting out.

You will need a long piece of vinyl tubing to run it to the windshield so you can see it when you are driving if it's going on a truck. On my RV's van chassis, the hose with the gauge is long enough due to the engine and filter placement. Zip tie the gauge to the cowl or windshield wiper arm so you can see it while driving.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a short video of the truck fighting to start just took the video before work yesterday did not drive the truck though and will look in to that tester @Cubey and any advice helps and saves unneeded cash. For such a lost cost part the fuel pump it surely is a major part needed

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is a short video of the truck fighting to start just took the video before work yesterday did not drive the truck though and will look in to that tester @Cubey and any advice helps and saves unneeded cash. For such a lost cost part the fuel pump it surely is a major part needed

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You might try taking the bleeder valve out and stick a vinyl tube/hose on the connector, and run it to container to see if its spitting out fuel when cranking like it should. Or if you have something to do it for you, just have them push in the valve while cranking. The hose method is a way to check it solo.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try taking the bleeder valve out and stick a vinyl tube/hose on the connector, and run it to container to see if its spitting out fuel when cranking like it should. Or if you have something to do it for you, just have them push in the valve while cranking. The hose method is a way to check it solo.

Thank you @Cubey for the tester advice it's on my list just puzzles me how a fuel pump can crap out in less the a year and mess the 500 miles seems my batteries from advanced auto went to the gravel yard now after that video I took so basically my taxes go to the truck kind of like last yr about this time went to truck n a spare car.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thank you @Cubey for the tester advice it's on my list just puzzles me how a fuel pump can crap out in less the a year and mess the 500 miles seems my batteries from advanced auto went to the gravel yard now after that video I took so basically my taxes go to the truck kind of like last yr about this time went to truck n a spare car.

I had to junk a pair of ~2 year old O'Reilly batteries still under free replacement warranty (3 years, I think), because I didn't have the phone number to provide from the person who bought them so O'Reilly couldn't replace them for free. The manager even let me go dig in my papers for the phone # of the guy i bought the F250 from but the # i had didn't have the batteries on the purchase history. So I was screwed.

I bought 2 Walmart 65N batteries instead, $94/each. Then a month or two later, I got the RV and moved them over to it since it needed new batteries. They've been excellent, so far.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to junk a pair of ~2 year old O'Reilly batteries still under free replacement warranty (3 years, I think), because I didn't have the phone number to provide from the person who bought them so O'Reilly couldn't replace them for free. The manager even let me go dig in my papers for the phone # of the guy i bought the F250 from but the # i had didn't have the batteries on the purchase history. So I was screwed.

I bought 2 Walmart 65N batteries instead, $94/each. Then a month or two later, I got the RV and moved them over to it since it needed new batteries. They've been excellent, so far.

Bought two batteries from advanced auto like 7 months seems nothing but poop for them @ $136 a piece going to go back to what was on the truck when I got it which was Walmart ones I just changed them out after a fire u had a few yrs ago n haven't went back. If I have learned one thing.from the thousands of posts I've read just going to buy certain things online as well as follow certain parts sites you all have done n in time find a donor since I live newer truck country in Arkansas

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update

So with time off work and a few hours away from the hospital for family things I figure why not fire the truck up see if it fixed it self maybe something was stuck it bad just got a bad batch of fuel well it stumbled for 2 minutes then came alive changed tanks from front to back which I have not used the back ina while but still keep fuel in it and the fuel filter dummy light went out have not drove it far and changed it back to front tank and the light is still off could there of been some water or something else just stuck in the front tanks fuel line have not checked the fuel filter though

New issue after the fuel filter light went off now my over drive light is flickering off and no matter what I do it will not turn back on weather you push the button in for it to be on or not have no idea why and my fuses are good in the fuse box under the dash.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance