fuel filter change and now not starting.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for just a walk through of how to bleed the system but couldnt find it.

i replaced the filter which had been installed to about 140ft, ended up tearing it as it came off.. i had to remove the whole assembly to get it off.

cleaned everything, installed new filter with new oring and bled the schrader as i cranked it. no luck

someone link me to the proper process? or hold my hand?

thanks in advance.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh i got it sorry..... just needed to cycle the glow plugs again and she ripped right up... sounds way meaner now :sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
gLAD YOU DIDN'T NEED TO BLEED AIR FROM ANY HARD LINES. aLWAYS PREFILL THE NEW FUEL FILTER WITH DIESEL BUT MAKE SURE ITS ONLY POURED INTO THE OUTER RING OF HOLES. tHAT WAY THE FILTER IS WORKING BY FILTERING THE FUEL THRU IT. pOURED DIRECTLY INTO THE BIG EASY TO HIT CENTER HOLE IS UNFILTERED FUEL GOING TO THE PUMP. nOT GOOD AT ANY TIME THATS A PROVEN FACT. cAN YOU GET AWAY WITH IT ONE OT TWICE. pROBABLY. bUT ARE YOU SURE THERE IS NO DIRT IN THE FUEL THATS GOING TO HARM THE PUMP... nOPE... uSE THE FILTER..
SORRY BUT THE GOOD WIFEY JUST USED THE CUMPTER AND REALLY RUINED IT. i CAN'T GET OFF THE CAPS. tIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CHIT... i'M SICK OF THIS.

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses guys, and thats some good info on how to fill the filter. i did do all that but i had to take the lines off to get the part the filter screws on out with the filter in order to remove it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I like to hook a generic 12 volt fuel pump in line before the filter. That way I just remove the old filter, lube the o-ring, install the new filter. Then just hit the toggle switch, press the schrader valve, and wait for the fuel to come out. It could also be a life saver if your mechanical lift pump ever goes out.