fuel filter cap squirting

treefidy

Reaction score
Hey all out there, i have been having a little problem. renof250 and i have been discussing my fuel filter lid prob, no matter how tight i put the top cap on the darn thing still will spray fuel out in a little stream, RENO told me to tighten it more, i got it on as tight as i could "finally no leak" but some people are telling me that you should only out it on hand tight! soooo is there such a thing as putting the cap on to tight? should i have it at hand tight instead of all my strength tight? could my seal be bad? im tired of having fuel spit all over the place. for now its been good, but like i said, is there such a thing as TOO TIGHT? thanks:confused:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
When did the leak start?

Some relacment filters come with a cap attached, while the better filters re-use the factory cap.
Both seem to take the same square cut seal ring but I'm sure there is just enough difference to cause issues.

And yes, usually just tight enough to compress the seal is all that is nessecary.............UNLESS someone has tried to use a filter not designed for using the original cap ......................

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Did you get the o-ring with the beveled edge? Also did you dip the new ring in some diesel? I had a similar prob with the square cut o-ring and finally got it to not squeeze out while tightening.

John

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
probably not your problem, but still inspect the bowl, I have seen more than one that needed to be replaced

treefidy

Reaction score
yea i have the beveled ring and i use the factory cap. i tried dipping the ring in diesel and it still didnt really work . like i said i have that thing on TIGHT!!!, and now its not leaking but it just dosent make any sense that i should have to put that thing on that darn tight. all i know right now is that its not leaking all over my drive way again and that makes me happy, on a side note, anyone know a good receipe for getting desiel stains off concreet? thanks guys let me know if you can think of anything else.

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
The caps do get distorted over time and loose the ability to seal properly no matter how tight you tighten.

Renegade

HillBilly
Reaction score
Howdy

You can purchase new fuel caps at International for about $5-10 bucks each & even come with a new gasket like the filters do vs buying from Ford which will try & **** ya at about $40 each :eek:

Please dont waste your money on the filters that come with the preinstalled lids as they are a pain to deal with & very rarely seal (trust me on this)

I'm assuming you have a 94-97 model as you dont list what you have in your sig- if so the IH part # for the lid is in my sig in the labeled parts group that may help.

Cheers

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by treefidy
some people are telling me that you should only out it on hand tight! soooo is there such a thing as putting the cap on to tight? should i have it at hand tight instead of all my strength tight?

Well, there is 60 some odd pounds of pressure inside that fuel bowl, so "hand tight" isnt going to cut it. I know when I pulled my filter lid off for the first time, I couldnt get the thing off it was on so tight. Thats why DI sells that cool fuel filter lid tool. That way you can use a ratchet!!!

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade

You can purchase new fuel caps at International for about $5-10 bucks each & even come with a new gasket like the filters do vs buying from Ford which will try & **** ya at about $40 each :eek:

Little more than that thru Navistar around $15-17 but yes they are WAY overpriced thru Ford.

Please dont waste your money on the filters that come with the preinstalled lids as they are a pain to deal with & very rarely seal (trust me on this)

Tickles me how some of the people selling them try to make it seem as though it is a benefit that the cap comes on thiers. They always fail to mention the fact that the sealing service and threads don't always line up correctly and are of of lesser overall quality filtertration media. Let us not forget they don't seal right allowing air into the fuel system more often than not. Baldwin filters IMHO are no better than throwing a roll of paper towels in the fuel bowl.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
A friend of mine had this exact same problem on his 02.

Turned out the plastic filter cap had a hairline crack that would only open up when the system got to full pressure. Really hard to see.

Check the inside of your cap under a bright light and look for any cracks.

Hope this helps,

Tom

treefidy

Reaction score
thanks guys you all gave good advice, does international make the cap for 99 psd's? thats what year mine is. i finnaly got that darn thing on as tight as i could and now no leak. but i still think that i need to replace the cap, i finally have over a hundred thousand on the engine, so i might need to be replaced.

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
thanks guys you all gave good advice, does international make the cap for 99 psd's? thats what year mine is. i finnaly got that darn thing on as tight as i could and now no leak. but i still think that i need to replace the cap, i finally have over a hundred thousand on the engine, so i might need to be replaced.

I sell em for $11.50 plus $8.50 s&h.
If you look it up on our site it will show waaay more than that since we are still not finished entering all of the price reductions yet.
Gimme a call 800-234-3455 ask for Dale.

Last edited:

RenoF250

Reaction score

If you would have tightened it properly in the first place it never would have leaked there missy. :shoot: LOL :moon: I think you could use a new cap though, yours is all chewed up on the top.

treefidy

Reaction score
thanks powerstroke, ill give you a call soon and see what we can get rollin, under 20 bucks aint to bad, ford charges you up the wazu for theres, yours are an international one correct? ill get it touch of you soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726