FSS Amperage Draw

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put a remote on/off switch on the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid. I noticed that it is powered from the factory with two parallel 12 or 14 gauge wires. I had already run 14 gauge wire from a switch rated for 15 amps. But I stopped short of connecting it when I saw this, worried that I might need something beefier. How much current does the FSS draw?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It has a very low amp draw. It is not parallel power, the second wire goes to the switch for the timing advance and high idle solenoid. So when it cold all 3 items draw power but it couldn’t be more than 10 amps.

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears that the fast idle solenoid and cold idle advance are powered by different wires. It's hard to see in the picture but the two red/green wires going to the FSS are going straight back into the main wiring harness, appearing to be wired parrallel. The white/red wire is powering the fast idle solenoid and cold idle advance, and is also coming from the main wiring harness.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are powered by the same wire, at least the same pin from the harness connector, they just get powered from the brown wire through the temp switch behind the thermostat housing that is fed by the second red wire with the green stripe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726