Frost plug block heaters - do they come standard? [94 IDI-t]

Andrew Sang

Reaction score
I realized the magnetic heater my truck came with is dead, so I was wondering if the frost plug heaters came standard with these trucks, and if so, where is the cord/heater so I can plug my own cord into it. If they're not standard, can I use an inline lower hose heater?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes they came standard on Fords. They weren't used in International applications. The heater is right above the starter. Your cord? It's hard to tell. It may not even be there anymore. If it is still there, it should be somewhere on the passenger's side.

Andrew Sang

Reaction score
Alright, good to know the heater itself is in there so I won't have to drain the coolant. That said, behind the starter? I don't want to pull it

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Yes they came standard on Fords. They weren't used in International applications. The heater is right above the starter. Your cord? It's hard to tell. It may not even be there anymore. If it is still there, it should be somewhere on the passenger's side.
I agree that they came standard in fords,but they did come in internationals.My s1600 6.9 IDI has a freeze plug block heater from the factory.

Rock

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Alright, good to know the heater itself is in there so I won't have to drain the coolant. That said, behind the starter? I don't want to pull it
If you are just installing the cord,you can easily do that with starter in place.Napa has the cords.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree that they came standard in fords,but they did come in internationals.My s1600 6.9 IDI has a freeze plug block heater from the factory.

Rock
Come to think of it, I'm sure that you're right. Most of my International experience came from a place in Baton Rouge that used to buy engines from us. Not real surprising that those didn't use them.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internationals could come with block heaters. I imagine it was an option, as my bus has it listed as "1000w-110v eng blk htr" on the line setting ticket. I'll have to check the spare engine to see what it has, it came from a a yard in florida, so good chance it might be omitted.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Looks like I'll probably need to change the heater completely.
It's messy, but it's really not all that terrible of a job. My advice is that after you drain the radiator, drop the starter, move the drain pan under there, and then pull the block drain plug out. If you haven't done this before, it's kind of amazing how much coolant comes out and can you guess where it would come out if you didn't remove the block drain? It's almost 100% certain that you'd get a cold, sticky bath too. If you want to go one step farther, you can remove the two motor mount nuts on that side and jack the engine up a little bit after you remove the old block heater. That will help keep some of the leftover coolant from dripping out of the hole, but it isn't required. Be sure that you clean all around the sides of the block heater hole before you install the new one. That can make a big difference on whether or not the o-ring on the heater will seal.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's anything that works quite as well as the factory style block heaters do. That is as long as you buy a 1000 watt replacement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online