Front tank no start?.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my fsv and put in line fuel filters in, when I select my front tank I can see fuel coming thru filter and the truck will run. When I shut it down and go to start again with front tank selected it won't start. I can switch to rear and with a couple cranks it's running. Maybe a weak sending unit?.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
When you are on the front tank , run it , shut it down and retry to restart off the front. If its not starting , check for air at the fuel filter schrader valve. If your getting air then you have some leak draining back down. Also what is your fuel gauge showing on the front tank ? The pickup tubes do crack and drop off . If its the original pickup tube, possible crack above the fuel tank level allowing back flow.
I replaced the sending units & pickup tubes in both tanks, all they are is a float resistor to send voltage to the gauge . I have mine wired independent, each tank has its own gauge and reads all time when powered on.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are on the front tank , run it , shut it down and retry to restart off the front. If its not starting , check for air at the fuel filter schrader valve. If your getting air then you have some leak draining back down. Also what is your fuel gauge showing on the front tank ? The pickup tubes do crack and drop off . If its the original pickup tube, possible crack above the fuel tank level allowing back flow.
I replaced the sending units & pickup tubes in both tanks, all they are is a float resistor to send voltage to the gauge . I have mine wired independent, each tank has its own gauge and reads all time when powered on.
Fuel tank says 3/4 full makes sense, began to drop when I drove it with front tank selected. Tank is new and this started to happen after I replaced it.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the old style fuel filter with the water seperator on the bottom or like psd tyle where it's all in one way my Ford does the same I can only use the back tank the front tank dies even when n100%full

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sending unit cant really get "weak" like you're thinking.
I would bet on of the quick disconnects is leaking. Between the tank and selector valve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the old style fuel filter with the water seperator on the bottom or like psd tyle where it's all in one way my Ford does the same I can only use the back tank the front tank dies even when n100%full
I got the new age filter.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score

If the front tank is 100% , pickup tube or none will pull fuel. Thats sound like a blocked fuel port on the fuel selector valve. Any little bit of crap, (small plastic pieces from a broken pickup tube/ rust /grime) can get sucked up. I installed inline fuel filters pre-fuel selector valve when i redid all the rubber lines 5/16 & 3/8 and replaced the FSV. I also use a Dura-lift electric pump. I replaced the stock 2 piece filter with x1 solid with no water in fuel sensor. I also epoxy sealed the heat connection, its worthless anyway by design. My fuel flow is ( new tank tube (screened) -> filter -> selector valve -> duralift pump -> Racor filter/water separator/heater (to be installed) -> stock filter head x1 piece filter -> injection pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online