Front seal wear sleeve fun

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ive got a front wear sleeve here, Federal Mogul/National part number 5066 that can't be right.
The inside diameter of the thing is only 2.359"
The outside diameter of the sleeve is 2.483"
The outside diameter of the balancer shaft is 2.484"
and the narrowest point at the chamfer is 2.392"

The instructions say this is a press on sleeve, but there's no way this thing is going on without turning the shaft down. It's a real thick piece, 0.048" so it's not just going to stretch.

What the heck is the deal on this thing ? Did they forget to leave out a minor step like turning the shaft down, or pre heating the sleeve, or is it just a bum catalog listing?

I put a rear sleeve on last week, but it was a Victor Reinz and that thing went right on no fuss. A little wiggle to start and a few good whacks and done, but this thing, I can't see it ever being a starter.

Thanks---------Robert

sassyrel

Reaction score
agree with f2--also--crank bolt will pull it right on to the crank when you get the right one!!!! no hammer needed-----

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. Its just as posted above but... Don't use the crank threads to pull it on the crank. It goes on the dampner up front. Yes, the rear speedy sleeve goes on the crank....And the crank threads can be used back there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured this was just another catalog screw up. The thing is as thick as some small car bearing races are on the thin side, there's no way that thing was going to stretch over unless it was some kind of magic mystery metal cookoo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well , I'm having no luck at all finding another brand around here, so it looks like I'll just have to offset the new seal about an 1/8" in or out to compensate -cuss

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redi-Sleeves and Speedi-Sleeves are commonly used in industrial applications, and are available in every shaft diameter known to man. Contact your local bearing supplier to source the proper size.

suv7734

Reaction score
Well , I'm having no luck at all finding another brand around here, so it looks like I'll just have to offset the new seal about an 1/8" in or out to compensate -cuss

I dug through my catalogues and found out a couple of things. The "5066" PN is for a seal and sleeve (as you know), the shaft size is listed as 2.377" with a seal OD of 3.505". Another listing for the 'seal only' shows PN 3894 which is 2.5" shaft size with a seal OD of 3.505" and a housing bore OD of 3.499". The 3894 seal works with speedi sleeve PN 99250 which is for a 2.500" shaft OD. In the CR speedi sleeve catalogue there is nothing listed to fit a shaft size of 2.484" ??
It's strange too because most of the autoparts places just list replacement balancers not repair sleeves.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Redi-Sleeves and Speedi-Sleeves are commonly used in industrial applications, and are available in every shaft diameter known to man. Contact your local bearing supplier to source the proper size.

I was about to make the usual wise crack about how the nearest bearing supply was about 300 miles away in Dallas , but just for giggles I looked in the phone book and we now have one , not only that, I don't even have to go to the city, it's right here in our little dirtwater town. Guess I'll swing by there Monday and see what they have laying around.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I dug through my catalogues and found out a couple of things. The "5066" PN is for a seal and sleeve (as you know), the shaft size is listed as 2.377" with a seal OD of 3.505". Another listing for the 'seal only' shows PN 3894 which is 2.5" shaft size with a seal OD of 3.505" and a housing bore OD of 3.499". The 3894 seal works with speedi sleeve PN 99250 which is for a 2.500" shaft OD. In the CR speedi sleeve catalogue there is nothing listed to fit a shaft size of 2.484" ??
It's strange too because most of the autoparts places just list replacement balancers not repair sleeves.

It's not looking too promising . , But like I said, I not above nudging the new seal in or out to find a good spot on the balancer There's some room to play with on the thing.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearing suppliers are like ants, they are everywhere even if you don't know it. Bearings make the world turn (I sure do miss the bearing business).

You will find that seals come in multiple configurations for a given ID and OD. Simply using a double lipped seal might give you a seal on a clean surface of the balancer.

2.484 is an odd size (shafting is normally based on 1/16" at the least, or 5mm increments for metric shafting). You may want to double check the measurement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a speedy sleeve made by Napa Balkamp and the part number is 600-2496. Its .800 wide and mearures about .013 thick. The inside measures about 2.5005 but its slight;y out of round from shipping I guess. I hope this helps....

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Bearing suppliers are like ants, they are everywhere even if you don't know it. Bearings make the world turn (I sure do miss the bearing business).

You will find that seals come in multiple configurations for a given ID and OD. Simply using a double lipped seal might give you a seal on a clean surface of the balancer.

2.484 is an odd size (shafting is normally based on 1/16" at the least, or 5mm increments for metric shafting). You may want to double check the measurement.

Oh, there are a handful of places that claim to be bearing supply houses in the city, and if you call them, they'll tell you over the phone that they have whatever you're asking for, but once you walk in the door, all the places are is a counter with a phone and once you get there they say, "well, we don't have it in stock, but, we can order it for you" and that's when I say:" yes, and I also own a phone and I can order the damn thing too and not have to make two trips to to town, get lied to, spend $40 in fuel and pay a 100% mark up for the privilege " :backoff