Front driveshaft

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K dumb question time....

I took the front driveshaft out a year ago, and I can't remember if the double Cardan joint goes toward the axle or the tcase. :mad: Help!!...:dunno

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost thought the flanges were different on both ends also.

Funny you should say that.....

The tcase from the 350 spun a fork on me, so I swapped out the one from the 250. Apparently the front yoke on the tcase from the 250 is different from the 350...it's bigger. The shafts from both trucks are the same length. Is there any reason why I can't use the front driveshaft from the 250 in the 350? Or do I need to swap the yokes around? And if I need to swap the yokes around, do I need to drop the tcase to do it?

what a day.....

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they are a different shaft. I would switch yokes. You don't need to or want to drop the tcase to do it because that nut is so hard to get off there you want to be able to lock the transfer case to hold it from spinning. I sold a f350 driveshaft to a guy that did a sold front axle swap in a f250 once and he said the f250 driveshaft worked but I can't remember why he wanted to switch it. I can't remember the nut size but 1 1/4 sounds right? A good breaker bar would help, preferably 3/4" drive. Maybe yours will come off easier than mine did! Theres no reason why you couldn't try to put in the f250 driveshaft and see if it will work just to get you by for right now. If your like me its cold out and laying on the ground wrestling with it is no fun.

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
i did a dana 60 swap on my f250 and used the 250 shaft, it works but with the 4 inch lift it vibrates pretty bad with only one u joint at each end of the shaft. So you are saying that if i switch over to an f350 shaft with a cardan joint, i need to change just the t case yoke?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The F350 driveshaft is shorter than the F250. The D60 pinion is longer than the D50 that is why the F350 shaft is shorter. The reason the F350 has the double joint on the T-case end is to alleviate drive line vibes due to it being on a harder angle. Also as stated above, The front yolk of the t-cases are different between a F350 and F250.If you want to part with that F350 front yolk I am VERY interested

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin