Front Bumper & Engine Upgrade Info

The Hajj

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a 2000 F-350 7.3 with a BD Turbo, Banks Big Hoss Module (Level 2), 4 inch exhaust and K&N Air Kit. I am looking for more power and quickness and would appreciate any suggestions. The local diesel shop recommends the following:

BD intercoooler
BD exhaust brake
Stage 2 injectors (keeping the Big Hoss at Level 2)

I am also looking for a heavy duty front bumper and winch. I have a lightweight grill guard now and it is just about useless. The shop suggested a Ruenell bumper with Warn 12,000 lb. winch.

This site has been a great learning tool for me. I greatly appreciate the insight many of you offer to diesel rookies like myself.

Merry Christmas to you all.

"The Hajj"

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
The Hajj, what's the story behind you're user name?????????

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Reunel make awesome extreme duty bumpers. Their suggestion is good! I have one of their rear bumpers.

You must be registered for see images

The Hajj

Reaction score
"The Hajj" is just a nickname that has been with me for many, many years. My last name is Hajjar and "The Hajj" was just the name my friends called me ever since I was a kid.

It was in place long before the PC police made it taboo!

I'm glad you asked instead of making any snap judgements.

Merry Christmas

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
The Hajj said:
"The Hajj" is just a nickname that has been with me for many, many years. My last name is Hajjar and "The Hajj" was just the name my friends called me ever since I was a kid.

That's a cool story ;p ;p ;p

Drop down to the Lounge and join in the fun bantering and joking.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Reunel bumpers are cool but woza are they expensive.

Why the better to slay a deer with being so stout :D :D :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know that you need to swap out intercoolers? I assume the shop made the exhaust brake recommendation becasue you tow? Do you have a full set of guages? I would put the injectors in and keep an eye on EGT's. Then make a determination of you need to upgrade you intercooler.

The Hajj

Reaction score
95_stroker,

I do not have a full set of gauges but I will add them to my list now. Thank you for the suggestion. I tow a jetboat, but the exhaust brake is being added to help reduce front brake wear and all that ugly brake dust that builds up on my front rims.

Would the standard gauge set that mounts on the winshield pillar be sufficient?

Thanks,

"The Hajj"

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Hajj,

Get a minimum two gauge cluster, pyro and boost. If your truck is an automatic tranny them pop for the three gauge mount and add a tranny temp in there also, and yes the pilar mount is fine. I would strongly recommend this before any other mods are done to the truck. Check out ISSPRO's or Autometers, there are several brands besides those but they are the popular ones.

Mike

The Hajj

Reaction score
Mike,

I have an automatic transmission so the 3 three gauge cluster will be added to the list of items being ordered.

Do you have any information on the Stage Two injectors? I thought about taking the Banks Module up to Level 4, but my diesel mechanic said the injectors with the current Level 2 programming would be better. Is this accurate?

Thanks for all your help.

"The Hajj"

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which injector builder are you getting your Stg II injectors from and which Banks module do you currently have?

The Hajj

Reaction score
Mike,

I do not know the manufacturer of the injectors at this time. My mechanic just said, "Stage 2 injectors". He is gone until next week, but I will ask him as soon as he returns.

I have the Banks Big Hoss Module programmed at Level 2 at this time.

Thanks,

"The Hajj"

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hajj,

I guess this is why I recommend gauges, put that sucker on level five and keep your EGT's in a safe operating range and have fun. Stage II injectors are probably a 160cc injector. Can I ask what you have been quoted in terms of price for the injector upgrade?

The Hajj

Reaction score
Mike,

Will Level 5 give me trouble with Idaho emissions testing? Also, do I need any other modifications to the engine or turbo, other than the ones I am having done, to meet Level 5 requirements?

The shop told me the injectors would be around $250 each.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jeff

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff

Yeah, if Idaho tests for emissions then it will give you trouble in that respect. Just dont do your emissions testing with it set there. If the $250 is installed thats not too far out of line but you can get them for probably about half that price through one of our vendors here. If you havent done the upgraded turbo wheel (commonly called the "Wicked Wheel" mod) yet you might consider that. It will reduce or eliminate turbo stall that is common on the SD engines.

Mike