Front Brakes Help!

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my passenger side front brake locked up and wore my pads and my rotors out. Well I bought new rotors pads, the parts kit and a caliper rebuild kit. But what I need help with, for the love of God is getting the damn rotors off. Like the order of all the small parts in the 4x4 hub. I'm a visual person and I can't find a video or something of changing these things. MY truck is a 1992 F350 5 speed 4x4, and I have the twin I beam independent front suspension. Any help would be appreciated.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stumped on the twin I beam, F350 and 4x4 info.
your F350 should have a D-60, does it not?
when i replaced mine, i had to press the wheel studs out and then separate them by way of chisel and BFH.
i also installed new wheel studs.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stumped on the twin I beam, F350 and 4x4 info.
your F350 should have a D-60, does it not?
when i replaced mine, i had to press the wheel studs out and then separate them by way of chisel and BFH.
i also installed new wheel studs.

Nope no Dana 60, my front is and independent front suspension, some wonky setup that ford used on some of the trucks. My issue is getting to the rotor. Apparently I have to go and take out the 4x4 hub which I have no clue how to do or what special tools I'll need

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's weird. Should totally be a d60. Lol
Someone swap 350 badges and use some spacers to make it a dually?
Or is it the one in your profile pic?
Should basically need a hub nut socket for whatever axle you do have. Take the locking hub off, then you'll find a lock ring that you have to fight with, then the hub nut>spacer>another nut, then it should theoretically slide off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's weird. Should totally be a d60. Lol
Someone swap 350 badges and use some spacers to make it a dually?
Or is it the one in your profile pic?
Should basically need a hub nut socket for whatever axle you do have. Take the locking hub off, then you'll find a lock ring that you have to fight with, then the hub nut>spacer>another nut, then it should theoretically slide off.

Nah she's a 350, SRW. Ran the vin, buddy of mine has the same split front axle setup.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tube?
Can't say I've seen a 350 with a ttb
Good luck someone must have one like it if its stock... post up a pic of the pumpkin and knuckle.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the not the average dana 60 swap thread op has your frontend.

gandalf

Reaction score
Regardless of which axle you have...

Once you have all the tools gathered and actually start taking things apart, have a decent camera handy. Take pictures, lots of pictures. Take a picture before removing each piece, so you know which order to replace things, and what it should look like after that piece goes back on. As each piece comes off, set it in order, in a neat row, on a clean surface. That way you know which piece goes on in what order--it's the next piece in the row.

I've found this procedure works well. And, most of all, when you have a question or when you get stuck, stop work and post your question or problem here.

If you can do it, post a picture of that axle for us all to see, so that everyone can help identify it, and know what you're dealing with.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same thing doing rotors on my truck. As others have stated you will need to press out you're wheel studs. Also check the seals on where you're rotor is pressed onto. Also make sure to repack you're bearings etc. for my hubs I used snap wring plyers a flat head screw driver and a socket. I don't recall the size. But as Gandalf stated just take the parts out and put them in a clean surface in order and take pictures as you go. That's what I did but with my Dana 60 and it she stops on a dime and the hubs work like butter ;Sweet i have a few pictures from what my hub looked like that I will share to show you what you're gonna be digging into

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the rain stopped my progress along with a seized caliper. So I'm going to head to the autozone tomorrow.
I have...
2 New Rotors
1 New Brake Pad set
1 Hardware set
1 tube threadloxker
1 tube anti Sieze.
Is there anything else I should pick up tomorow? I'm getting calipers, should I get wheel seals and grease maybe?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace wheel seals and re pack you're bearings cause while you're in there you mine as well so you don't have to go back in and fix something else. Also check you're flex hoses for cracks or dry rot. Also inside the hub make sure to grease that. Another major thing is to clean and re grease you're caliper slides and make sure they move freely

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add to use brake grease on the slides and to also put break grease on the ends of the brake pads and where the pads sit on the caliper. Do not put grease on the friction material it's self haha. Just on the metal sides to prevent squeaks and so they are able slide freely

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease for the bearings. Good stuff and it's not really expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online