Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could remove the mechanical fuel pump and try running with the Facet pump. What about swapping harmonic balancer with the one from the other engine?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of options at this point. Going to get harmonic balancer off soon and look at it. If it looks alright, will probably take front cover off. If that looks alright, going to rip this thing back out at some point

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go over the engine with a stethoscope. Touch everything that has moving parts behind it. Head, block, water pump, front cover, ip, etc. Do it when its not making a noise so you have an idea of what everything sounds like through the stethoscope, and again when it makes the noise.

If you still can't find it after that, just drive it. The noise will either go away or get worse.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, could be way out in the left field, but Tom may be onto something.
Maybe the lift pump failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hers a stretch question. How did you install the bolts for the water pump... Its possible one might be too long and is slightly touching the injection pump gear. Remember the top and bottom 2 bolts go thru the front cover and can touch the gears if too long.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried removing lift pump and ran aux pump with the engine running. Still ticking so we can rule that out.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I listened to your video a couple times, and it sounds like the sound goes away on decel, is this true?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listened to your video a couple times, and it sounds like the sound goes away on decel, is this true?

That was the old vid of Pistons hitting valves you were probably listening to. Doesn't sound quite like that. No ticking from exhaust, just @ idle & in gear is when I notice it. I will have to see if I can post the new vid I took, but it's a pain in the ass to do it on this forum.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hers a stretch question. How did you install the bolts for the water pump... Its possible one might be too long and is slightly touching the injection pump gear. Remember the top and bottom 2 bolts go thru the front cover and can touch the gears if too long.

Gary, water pump was put on correctly. I did, however, replace one of the bolts with a bigger size because the nut welded on the backside of front cover stripped. I will have to pull that one off and double check it before I tear the whole thing apart again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good idea if you can reach behind the pulleys. Right now this is about the best guess I have and if.. you find some worn down threads.. Well here's hoping for an easy fix.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score

I think you might be onto something...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIXED!!!

Well today i figured I would work on the truck a little. I was getting ready to start tearing everything down to take the engine out when I decided to take it for another spin. I had my brother with me and had him listen to the engine once it started making the ticking noise. Figured he might be able to help me since his hearing is much better than mine. He pulled up a chair in the garage and watched as I used that damn stethescope for the millionth time lol. I continued to have a really hard time isolating the noise. So for S&G's, i decided to crack open each injector with the engine running & in gear. I don't know why I decided to do this since I had done it many times in the past couple weeks, but I did. After about 5 minutes of tinkering, bro goes.....hold on a sec, what did you just do because the noise briefly went away. Do whatever you just did. So I cracked the 2nd to front passenger side injector again.....and he goes, I don't hear it anymore. So I stand back and listen with him and I will be *********, noise went away. So him and I speed off to the local O'reilly's and picked up a cheap BWD injector to install in engine. 5 minutes later, I have truck back on the road and drove it hard for a half hour. Pulled back into garage and noise is completely gone!!! Couldn't be happier.
So here's a little history with these injectors. They are delhpi injectors that I bought brand new about 3 years ago. They only have about 10k miles on them. When I installed new engine a couple months back, I had a local shop pop test them. He ended up having to rebuilt 4 out of the 8 due to carbon buildup on the pintles. So when I had cylinder heads off to fix the piston-valve contact my engine was having, I got the injectors re-pop tested for S&G's. They all checked out supposedly. So, lesson learned I guess. Even though a shop says injectors are within specifications, they can still cause problems. I plan on replacing all injectors in the near future. Not a big fan of Delhpi's anymore.
I would like to to take a moment & thank everyone for their help and support. This had many members scratching their heads and taking lots of spare time out of their busy days to try and help me out :hail. Looks like the problem is finally resolved and couldn't be happier. Thanks again everyone :cheers: