Found This For Towcat

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whow, spendy little devils aren't they?

I have the same setup on my 92 F450 ZF5 speed. Thought I would build up a spare trans with that setup but guess I'll put that on hold.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is one sitting on the ground and another in a back of a truck at local pick n pull I can get two cheap if anyone wants me too....I'll ask wed how much

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one sitting on the ground and another in a back of a truck at local pick n pull I can get two cheap if anyone wants me too....I'll ask wed how much

I don't suppose you would ship that to me..? :D

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
$800? towcat wont pay that :) especially since i found him with a zf5 for cheap.. if i ever pull it :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

make sure it has oil in it or it's worthless. they only hold a half-cup of oil and the fill plug is right above the e-brake cable bracket.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the two you found in the scrap yard. If you are going by and can get a price without putting you to trouble, give me a IM and let me know what it would take to buy them. Thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the two you found in the scrap yard. If you are going by and can get a price without putting you to trouble, give me a IM and let me know what it would take to buy them. Thanks

I can do that....I'm gonna go there this week...likely Wed to check for some fenders....need one for Superwifey truck....so will see what price they quote me....NOT much too #()(%$#@ stupid to even know what it is....*****...

They are quite heavy and would need to be shipped but I can do that for ya...

NO idea on condition....

They where on 460 ZF's and I wanted one of those and missed it...cash poor time rich! scenario

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, like Towcat said, they need oil. The designers at Ford failed to even put a drain plug for that unit so they don't get serviced. Most oil change folks don't even know the unit has a separate oil supply from the trans.

If you have a chance and they are off, the fill plug is where Towcat posted, pull it, and tip them to see if any oil comes out. That will give a big indication of condition. Parts to rebuild them are scarce even from a good Ford stealership.

Typical failure path is, the E brake is left on, the unit gets hot, the seals get cooked, oil is lost, bearings seize, it twists the stubshaft off and the whole drivetrain polevaults when the assembly explodes... at speed.

Ooooops....