found metal clutch master cylinder

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its meatl but just barely. Aluminum is not my flavor when it comes to cylinders of any kind. I realize some valuable master cylinders can be sleeved with stainless steel but how much are you willing to spend. Its much different if you have a lathe and mill like some of our members have. One has a complete machine shop... Been there and love it...-Drool

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice.
Almost (not all) brake master cylinders are aluminum. So I feel completely fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah I think anything above plastic is a good thing. Ford loves using plastic on important parts... like f150 plastic brake caliper pistons :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I remember the first time I stripped out the bleeder screw in a plastic slave cylinder. Still can't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

like f150 plastic brake caliper pistons :)

Wow really? I didn't know that.. How does that even happen :frustrate :puke:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well they're phenolic but same difference to me..

I was 18.. working in a auto shop. Just bought my first brake caliper piston compressor.

neither my boss or I knew what they were. When I used my new tool my boss came back from the test drive reaking of burnt brakes..

We replaced the calipers and all was good

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finding ford calipers without phenolic pistons is a real problem. Seems damn near impossible anymore. If you guys know different, please share. Not a fan here either hence my thread last week about it.

Edit: The 250 and 350 remans are mostly phenolic too. Just FYI.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford went to the phenolic pistons because of brake fade, the metal pistons transfered too much heat to the brake fluid causing it to boil and reduce braking, the phenolic pistons dont transfer heat as much as the metal ones.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford went to the phenolic pistons because of brake fade, the metal pistons transfered too much heat to the brake fluid causing it to boil and reduce braking, the phenolic pistons dont transfer heat as much as the metal ones.

They should have just gone to a better fluid. I should get paid but I don't for all the times I've said nice things about Valvoline synthetic 5.1. I cooked the fluid in my 240SX using full metallic pads, and normal fluid. Never again with the 5.1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online