Ford explorer to Mit. 4d55t diesel?

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some opinions and ideas for a swap I am thinking about. The wife wants a Suv but I want it to be a diesel! I currently have 2 Mit. 4d55t engines. I am thinking about swaping one of these engines into a first or second generation explorer. The ranger pickup was available with this diesel engine in the early 80's. I would want the diesel to be hooked up to an auto tranny for the wife but I am not sure if it would work with the Ford A4LD tranny because of the lower rpm of the diesel? I hope this makes sense and any suggestions will be appreciated!;Sweet Thanks!

tgatch

Reaction score
First off.. the engine will be older than the explorer. I'd check to make sure that it is cool to do if you have any emissions to deal with.

Second, we have a guy that is part of our local diesel group that has the 4D55T in his Mitsu pickup. The thing is making 62HP to the wheels. and 101 ft lbs through a manual trans. An auto will cost you even more HP. Read about it here. The good news is he is getting 34+ on the highway with it.

Third, if those are the FORD 4D55's parts for those are hard to come by. While the basic block and engine are the same, the accessories and mounting set up was different.

Finally, here is a write up on the 4D55 engine by the guy in the post I linked above

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engines are the Mits. engines. From what I have read you can bump these engines up to around 120hp with the 4d56 head, intercooler and water cooled turbo. Am I wrong?:dunno

tgatch

Reaction score
That maybe true.... I can tell you that it is a VE injection pump, so the tricks used in the VE pumped Cummins will work pretty much the same. That would be a 40HP bump as the 4d55 in factory trim was about 80HP. But like I said, the 62WHP was through a manual, I'd venture to say that an Auto will have you down to 55WHP. So if you got a 40HP bump you will still be under 100WHP?