Ford 66-73 F-250 conversion

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Has anyone put a diesel engine in a 66-73 Ford F-250 2 wheel drive?
I have a 66 F-250 and would like to swap the 300 6 cal for a diesel.
What engine will fit and get the best mileage?
Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 26

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Beautiful looking truck!

What kind of engine are you looking for? Something that would fit the time period? That would be a detriot. Other options include IDI's, powerstrokes, cummins, some CATs.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful truck :love: -Drool :thumbsup:

As to what power plant you want to put in...as Justin said, it depends on whether you want to keep with the period or if that isn't important. If you want to keep with the period, you're best off with a Drip-troit...something along the lines of a 4-53T would work well ;Sweet

If you're okay with a newer engine, the next question is what do you plan to do with the truck? Is it going to primarily be a freeway commuter, or are you planning to tow heavy with it? I don't know the dimensions of the engine compartment, but if you're primarily looking for fuel economy and aren't worried about making a truckload of power, a 4BT Cummins would be perfect IMHO. If you need something with more power, options abound...you could swap in an IDI (simple engine to swap and maintain, but not a gigantic powerhouse), a 7.3l PSD (more powerful, but you're going to have "fun" doing the electrical), a 6BT Cummins (a 12 valve won't be any more difficult than an IDI and will make more power, but it's not a "Ford" engine), or really any engine that was offered in a pickup truck.

Sounds like a fun project in any event...would love to hear what ends up happening ;Sweet

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!
I drive this truck to my blacksmith shop every day 110 miles round trip.
I frequently haul a ton or so of horseshoes.
I would like to increase my fuel mileage that is currently around 14 mpg with the 300 6cyl.
I want to stay with mechanical injection.
The steering linkage is behind the axles on this truck 65-79.
I am hopping someone has already dealt with the clearance issues with the linkage.
I am leaning toward a Cummins 4BT.
I have a close ratio T-19 transmission and am going to add a Spicer auxiliary that is over,under and direct drive.
I would go with the Cummins 6BT but I don't think I have enough length without cutting the firewall.
The front end is from a 73 F-350 and has the 1 1/16 king pins instead of the 7/8 ones.
I think the front suspension would be strong enough for a 1000-1200 lb engine.
The cummins 4BT would be the closest in weight to the 352 that came in the truck.
Thanks again!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a suggestion that will get me in a whole lot of trouble with the gang here.
Ever thought of a Isuzu 4BDT1 motor? They are reasonably powerful, tough as nails, incredibly easy on fuel(15k truck 18mpg+) and have overrun the world like cockroaches. if it wasn't for the fact isuzu only had them in cabovers, I'd have them in my fleet.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
here's a suggestion that will get me in a whole lot of trouble with the gang here.
Ever thought of a Isuzu 4BDT1 motor? They are reasonably powerful, tough as nails, incredibly easy on fuel(15k truck 18mpg+) and have overrun the world like cockroaches. if it wasn't for the fact isuzu only had them in cabovers, I'd have them in my fleet.

Not at all Calvin. I have actually been reading up on those things, and they sound great! Not to mention they havent been "discovered" therefore they are cheap.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all Calvin. I have actually been reading up on those things, and they sound great! Not to mention they havent been "discovered" therefore they are cheap.

if you want a cheap US diesel, look no further than our IDI's. the shear numbers of them still on the road here rivals a SBC as far as diesels are concerned. I am constantly on the hunt for the Isuzu's due to my buddy's towing fleet, I won't own a cabover. I've done too many fatals to ever get in one on a daily basis. The Isuzu otoh, is slightly cheaper than a Cummins 4BT.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big is the Isuzu compared to a 4BT? I've never taken a close look at one, but I've always been under the impression that they were fairly big engines and might be difficult to shoehorn into a pickup truck :dunno

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies!
I know the Cummins 4BT's were a repower unit for vans with ford chassis.
How much length is needed bell housing to radiator for a first generation 6BT?
Someone on the slick 60's site attempted to swap a 6.9 into a 65 and said it could not be done because of steering linkage issues.
Is there a shallow sump pan for a 4BT?
Will a borg warner T-19 work with a 6BT?
Thank You!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would go with the 4bt for ease of instal, and better fuel mileage. A T19 will bolt to both the 4bt and 6bt with the proper adapter plate.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to go to the bathroom and clean up (I know a little rough around the edges statement). That this is beautiful!!!! 14MPG is very good for a 300-6. I personally love the 300 but a diesel would be a cool thing to see in there as well. Sorry for no real input as to what to swap in.

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!
The 300 is a great engine.
I have owned three and they have been reliable and relatively good on fuel.
My truck doesn't really like the ethanol and ethanol free gas is becoming extinct in my area.
I am going to continue driving the truck with the 300 while I gather parts and information for the swap.
I use this truck for shop work every day.
Here it is with 2200lbs of parts on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351