Ford 6.9 to 7.3 exchange glow plug problem

rlarryh

Reaction score
does anyone have a dumb proof wiring diagram for the glow plug system on a 6.9 engine? I put a 7.3 engine in my 84 dually and put in the controller from the 6.9. in the confusion (inexperience) I lost what organization I had.

Thanks in advance------>Larry

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's the 6.9 system diagram.

Attachments

• ph1037766997035088401.jpg
    ph1037766997035088401.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 29
  • ph1038283810035088401.jpg
    ph1038283810035088401.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18

rlarryh

Reaction score
Great thank you!!!!

This should get the job done, this is a great site and there are lots of people who REALLY know what they are doing.

Thanks again-------->Larry

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I don’t know if you need it or not but if you go to my web site and look under “Diesel Information” and then click on “Glow Plug and Controller Analysis 1993” you’ll find detailed prints on the 7.3 bullet style system and controller. Might help you cross reference things.

rlarryh

Reaction score
Thanks to you

Thank you 93_E_350, Your web site is great and well worth the visit!!! You can be assured that I have bookmarked your site-------->Larry :thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron would you possibly have the diagram for the 7.3 style harness as well? Please? It would help a ton,
J.D.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the 6.9 system diagram.

catcher i was looking at the wiring diagram you had, and can someone please tell me where is the wait lamp latching relay & the after glow relay. the reason im asking is because my glow plugs never worked since i bought the truck, and on the drivers side of the truck in the corner of the fire wall and the fender there is a plug that looks like theres supposed to have a relay pluged into it but theres nothing. does anybody know what goes there?cookoo

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ron would you possibly have the diagram for the 7.3 style harness as well? Please? It would help a ton,
J.D.

JD, check out 93_E_350's site at http://webpages.charter.net/idi_diesel go to Diesel Information then check out "Glow plug and controller analysis 1993" as he has a wiring diagram there, may be what you need.

VERY nice site, have it bookmarked as well! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing! ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
jtate said:
catcher i was looking at the wiring diagram you had, and can someone please tell me where is the wait lamp latching relay & the after glow relay. the reason im asking is because my glow plugs never worked since i bought the truck, and on the drivers side of the truck in the corner of the fire wall and the fender there is a plug that looks like theres supposed to have a relay pluged into it but theres nothing. does anybody know what goes there?cookoo

Got a photo by chance?
Does the truck have A/C?
I'm more of a 7.3 guy but have been getting more time on the 6.9's ;Sweet Here's what I've got.

The wait lamp latching relay, should be under dash near diesel warning light module (contains wait, water in fuel, filter lamps) Part # E3TZ-12B536-A.

The after-glow relay, should be mounted in front of or near the right hand battery on fender. That part number is E2TZ-9C972-A.

The easiest way to check to see if the GP's are working are by using a 12v test light to check the GP's individually while still in the socket. Just undo the connector, place the test light alligator clip onto the positive side of the battery terminal and touch the test light to the connecting tip of the GP.
If it lights it's good, not...bad.

Chances are the controller may be what has taken a dump, course the most expensive of the parts.cookoo

sle2115 said:
JD, check out 93_E_350's site at http://webpages.charter.net/idi_diesel go to Diesel Information then check out "Glow plug and controller analysis 1993" as he has a wiring diagram there, may be what you need.

VERY nice site, have it bookmarked as well!
Thanks for sharing!
Yep!;Sweet

Last edited:

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks catcher for the responce yes the truck has air and it works perfect. i dont have a pic of it but ill try to get one. i dont know what this plug goes to but theres a bracket there and a plug but what ever the plug plugs into is gone. damn thats a lot of plugs. lol

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah good site...it really didn't tell me much I didn't already know about the 7.3 system. I have a harness which was purchased from International and it has several other leads from it besides the ones to connect it to the glow plug controller and plugs. It may be for an IH application instead of the F-series, but I believe it can work. I just need to know what each connection is and then I can decide what to do. Perhaps I need to get a diagram faced from IH and one from Ford to compare notes. Any ideas? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online