For the members who have done the headlight relay modifications???

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the finished gain in lighting worth the time? The job itself seems very straight forward and cheap. I'm looking into doing it this weekend but wanted to hear others opinions first.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Do it.

I bought some of those crystal clear headlights too. Put some silver stars in it and the light is better than my 04 f-150.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well I didn't really notice a lot but my bulbs suck I've got custom "projector" headlights for a bull nose and when I had my purple 12000k hids they weren't bright but they were as bright as my normal bulbs and had a way better patten.now one went out so I went back to the white headlight bulbs but mine put out yellow light.now to keep from replacing headlight switchs yes it's worth it but intell I get new hid bulbs I won't know

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Also I made my own I didn't use the lmc kit. In my opinion do the lmc kit and buy extra relays.i spend like 100 plus bucks makin my own

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I swapped my lights with some cheaper "OEM" style replacements and a homemade relayed harness. Lows are brighter than my '05 Chevy. Brights are brighter than the sun. Recommend.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you aren't afraid to cut into your harness, it's actually really simple and cheap to do it yourself. Need two relays, sockets (or female spade connectors preferably insulated.) and a length of wire with a fuse. Can do it relatively cleanly. Can always do it fancier but those are the basic essentials.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I made my own I didn't use the lmc kit. In my opinion do the lmc kit and buy extra relays.i spend like 100 plus bucks makin my own

From my understanding from reading the tech article its only like 25 bucks in wiring, relays,connector's.
As far as the lmc kit goes I have read nothing but bad post's and reviews. Well more bad than good comments on the lmc relay kit.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay mod is definitely worth it; besides making your lights brighter, the relays take the strain off the weak headlight switch. If a relay ever dies on you, it's not even a 5 minute job to switch things back to stock and get back on the road, no tools required. If your headlight switch burns up at midnight on a back country road you're prettymuch screwed, so it's nice to have a little redundancy in the system. And if you're as paranoid as I am, independently controlled fog lights make great last-resort low beams :D

Yes.

Do it.

I bought some of those crystal clear headlights too. Put some silver stars in it and the light is better than my 04 f-150.
^ the clear headlights and Silverstar Ultra's are a huge upgrade too, especially if your current headlights are starting to fade. I did that + the relays last year, and took some before and after pictures. Worth every friggin' penny. My old OEM lights were actually in pretty good condition but the light output still sucked, so I have absolutely no idea how some people get by with their horribly faded and yellowed headlights.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody on here had a write up on a special clear uv spray paint to use to seal the headlight when done sanding them....
who knows what kind of paint it was?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I did. (Didnt do a write up though) Was just normal clear coat for paint.
3m has a product that you spray on, then you can peel it off if you want to reapply.
Mine are still decent, but eventually I'm going with new housings. Found some real nice ones I like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 7 jasper.... someone did a write up, but used clear uv paint..... anybody else remember this or am I losing my mind?

inked469

Reaction score
Totally worth it. Only thing I recommend is don't get tinted bulbs. I had the Hella optilux and was dissapointed put my old clear bulbs back in and it was a huge difference. Also I recommend the spade connectar because the plugs I got only had wire rated for 15 Amps so with higher wattage bulbs I melted the connector. Just my two cents. I think I spent 20 bucks and got 2 extra relays I keep in the truck just incase.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If doing hi wattage bulbs ceramic connectors help
http://m.aliexpress.com/popular/9004-female-connector.html

Build yer own harness and get the plugs to connect to factory harness as shown...then make leads to relays a d new headlight so kets...second plug in factory harness could be used for zay fog and drivjng light harness ....no load on headlight switch...complete plug and play....no cutting of factory harness required this way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online