"Fogging" an IDI?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
So very soon my 2 IDI's will be stored for winter, the motorhome always is, but isn't setup yet, still needs to be moved, and my van will end up in storage once salt comes out.

Usually I go out every month, and fire it up and let it run for an hour, idle, and keep up revs around 2k RPM for a few min, but nothing more. Temp never really gets to operating temp.

Witch would be better for the engine, and the fuel system? Fire it up once a month like I have been doing for pasted years, or Fog it and let it sit for 5-6 months?

And if "fogging" it is better, what do I need to do to Fog an IDI?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Fogging is something of the boat world. When you store your boat for winter, you fog the engine, run some antifreeze through it, and flush it, and shoot oil down the spark plug hole.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine is going to run on about anything combustible you put in it. That could mean at really high rpms. Isn't fogging a petroleum product? You could cause your engine to run away

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what fogging is I grew up on table rock lake in missouri as a kid my dad use to to do it every winter for extra cash. I don't think that its needed. However I am an fan or starting a truck up every mouth or two weeks if it's setting. Some people say no you don't have to. I still due I feel like gaskets dry up people say no but do it sounds like you have an it's not hurting anything at all. I do run a fan nothing crazy but just sit it in front an that's good I do bring mine to a high idle. I run tell it shuts off then pull throttle cable to 2,000 rpm an run tell op temp an then shut down an start next one. Jm2c I really am big one starting an keeping batteries an wire an stuff warm. These truck have old wires an stuff an when stuff sets its not good. I'm probley thinking over kill. My dad an grandpa always start there old cars in winter every month or 2 weeks so that's what I've done an been told.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fogging is something of the boat world. When you store your boat for winter, you fog the engine, run some antifreeze through it, and flush it, and shoot oil down the spark plug hole.

Look if you can fog your diesel by running some AF through it and shooting oil down the spark plug hole..I suggest you fog it in that exact manner as you described.... ROFL ;Poke

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would put a battery tender on it, spray the whole engine compartment down with WD-40 and let it sit. Also keep the fuel tanks full to prohibit condensation.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Sta-Bil fogging oil for my gassers that go into storage. It comes in an areosal can, I would spray some down the glow plug holes and turn the engine over by hand.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have used Sta-Bil fogging oil for my gassers that go into storage. It comes in an areosal can, I would spray some down the glow plug holes and turn the engine over by hand.

If you are going to put anything liquid into your engine, you BETTER take the GP's back out and turn the engine over to GET IT OUT before you start it again.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If its going to be longterm storage, you can unhook the glowplugs and remove them and fog LIGHTLY , you will wind up with fog oil all over the underside of your hood, but you wont fire teh engine and have it take off

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't worry about fogging; I would have the batteries out or disconnected and keep them charged. Maybe a start or two throughout the winter. But full fuel tanks I do like to keep to prevent condensation. And I would have the fuel dosed with ATF or Howes or something to keep the pump happy. I really don't stress too much over having stuff sit for a few months as long as it stays dry and mice keep out of it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^What he said. In my opinion, fogging a diesel engine seems kind of pointless, especially if it is only for the winter. Sure it may coat the chamber with a light mist of oil, but it seems like it is unnecessary. These engines are already full of oil products lol. Like stated above, just start it up every month if you are concerned with it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And diesel fuel itself is an oil and will prevent rust. Keep the cylinders away from air and water and you will be fine....don't worry...be happy!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya got oil squirting up the bottom from the piston cooling jets. Just before you store it, run it up to temp "HOT", put the diesel sta-bil in before running or before filling the tank(s), a good dose, that will mix the fuel and sta-bil just from the flow back to tank, two tanks, switch over. Don't start it in the winter, disconnect the IP fuel solenoid so it won't start, just turn it over a few rev's, the jets will oil the cylinder walls, that's all that's needed. If you start it and not run it "HOT", condensation gets in the oil pan and in the exhaust system and will rust out from the inside.

That's how I stored and winterized gas and diesel RV's for customers when I had an RV service for 15 years, never a complaint on startup in the spring. I did fog the gassers tho that had carbs.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Long term storage, Fog, short term (what your doing) Run... For true long term I would fog, and get some desiccant plugs to replace the injectors with, but with these engines it's not necessary....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online