flywheel.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. I got a 1992 ford F350 IDI and ive been hearing odd noised comin from the bell housing. when i take off in 1st it sounds like theres change falling from a slot machine and every now and then i hear a noise that sounds like a spring snapping. Im guessing its the flywheel. can i put a solid PSD flywheel in my truck or will it not work?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Sounds like your DMF (dual mass flywheel) is on its way out. When they let loose bad things happen. There are many things you can do in the way of upgrades.

Search around for SMF or single mass conversions. I would recommend changing the rear main seal while the clutch is out ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. I got a 1992 ford F350 IDI and ive been hearing odd noised comin from the bell housing. when i take off in 1st it sounds like theres change falling from a slot machine and every now and then i hear a noise that sounds like a spring snapping. Im guessing its the flywheel. can i put a solid PSD flywheel in my truck or will it not work?
PSD flywheel and IDI flywheel are completely different animals. even the bolt pattern is different.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i did some readin and people seem to favor the DMF over the SMF. Should i buy a new DMF and if som wheres the cheapest place to get it? thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
so i did some readin and people seem to favor the DMF over the SMF. Should i buy a new DMF and if som wheres the cheapest place to get it? thanks

Not sure what people that is what favours them things, but it isn't many. If you drive around empty and never tow and make sure that you only buy stock clutches, then a DMF will work OK, otherwise get rid of the thing, it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, even a new one is if you tow heavy.
Best setup is a 12 1/4" smf setup with that clutch you get about 9 springs in the center of the disc and basically zero rollover noise, with an 11" you only get 5 springs and you can get significant rollover noise. If you do get a DMF only use a stock replacement clutch, never a heavy duty, if you do, the overload protection section in the center of teh DMF becomes the weak link as it grabs less than the heavy duty clutch and once you slip that thing, the DMF is toast.
THe DMF is something that was designed to make a transmission quiet for folks not used to driving real vehicles. ZF used it on a number of different vehicles.The design works fine in BMWs for ultra smooth takeoffs and no jerking in traffic and cutting engine vibrations, but it pretty well sucks in these things. Nothing like hooking up to your trailer and going to leave out and hitting the throttle and watching yout RPms go up and not your speedo when you have a brand new clutch -cuss

Call Fort Wayne Clutch and get a rebuilt KEvlar lined 12 1/4" clutch kit, kevlar pilot bushing and solid flywheel and you will be in business . Another nice side effect with that setup is they are easy on the left knee. THe friction is so high with the kevlar that they don't have to use excessive clamping force which means easy work for your left leg and long lasting flywheel, and I regularly tow over 18k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online