flushing radiator only getting 6 gallons

jlwoods99

Reaction score
So I put in a new champion 3 row aluminum radiator and put in the block drain/ petcocks. I've done several flushes and all I can get in it is 6 gallons. What would you recommend I do as I'm ready to add my 50/50 mix tomorrow.

thanks

jim

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I thought that's about all they took was 6 gallons?? When I did my flush that's exactly how much mine took.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think the differance in what you get out during the flush be because of the smaller aluminum radiator you have. It doesn't have as many tubes as the oem units have so less coolant needed. With all the block drains open you are getting all of the coolant usually trapped in the block when a person only removes the bottom radiator hose to drain. Even the oil cooler will drain down into the block because its installed with the firewall end pointed down.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was getting closer to 7.5 gallons though that was with the Short wide rad which clearly has larger tank capacity than the tall narrow one.

My suggestion....

DRAIN
CLOSE off all openings
ADD coolant

Dont forget to pull the overflow tank, clean it and add a 50/50 mix in there too..that takes almost a gallon or so to do just that..

YOU BE DONE!