first time diesel owner with a couple questions

acousticrawk

Reaction score
ok, so im getting ready to pick up an NA 1983 f250 with a 6.9, c6, and i have a few question. keep in mind, this is my first diesel EVER, im trading a jeep for it, so i am a jeep guy and dont know alot of the diesel slangs and acronyms, i just know they make kool smoke clouds and TONS of torque!. haha. i tried searching, but i got 10000 different unrelated things and am sick of sorting through them, so im just going to ask y'all! haha.

1. what is the safest EGT temp after i turn the IP up?
2. what about a 7.3 pump on a 6.9?
3. can i take all the turbo parts off a alter model 6.9 or 7.3 and bolt them onto my 6.9? if not, wheres can i look at some kits?
4. what trannies will swap in the easiest (mine will have a c6). im specifically looking for a 5 speed or an auto with OD.
5. what can i do to the 2x4 suspension to help it out? its a little old and saggy, and sense its only 2wheel drive, i was thinking "street performance truck."
6. whats the biggest tire size i can run on a stock suspension after i cut a couple inches out of the fenders? (rust around fender lips im going to cut off, and i have some military hmmwv tires! 36"s)
7. once i get this thing (kind of a beater), what should i do to it service and inspection wise?

also im going to do a 4inch exhaust i think, or 5. what are youre opinions on exhaust size between the 4 and 5? im going to dump out the side right before the rear tire, no over axle pipe needed that way!

THANKS GUYS!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
ok, so im getting ready to pick up an NA 1983 f250 with a 6.9, c6, and i have a few question. keep in mind, this is my first diesel EVER, im trading a jeep for it, so i am a jeep guy and dont know alot of the diesel slangs and acronyms, i just know they make kool smoke clouds and TONS of torque!. haha. i tried searching, but i got 10000 different unrelated things and am sick of sorting through them, so im just going to ask y'all! haha.

1. what is the safest EGT temp after i turn the IP up?
anything less than 1200*

2. what about a 7.3 pump on a 6.9?
it can work, some small differences mainly between an auto and manual but it wont affest the pump just the kick down and such

3. can i take all the turbo parts off a alter model 6.9 or 7.3 and bolt them onto my 6.9? if not, wheres can i look at some kits?
yes

4. what trannies will swap in the easiest (mine will have a c6). im specifically looking for a 5 speed or an auto with OD.
E4OD or ZF 5 speed will work

5. what can i do to the 2x4 suspension to help it out? its a little old and saggy, and sense its only 2wheel drive, i was thinking "street performance truck."
"street performance" as in road handling, ride? id say a good set of shocks (bilsiten come to mind), maybe a new set of leafs and if u wanna road course it LOL, thicker sway bars.

6. whats the biggest tire size i can run on a stock suspension after i cut a couple inches out of the fenders? (rust around fender lips im going to cut off, and i have some military hmmwv tires! 36"s)
uh...counter-active of question 5?

7. once i get this thing (kind of a beater), what should i do to it service and inspection wise?
anything u would to a gasser also check the rubber lines for leaks. ifu are feeling adventours u could clean the injectors.

also im going to do a 4inch exhaust i think, or 5. what are youre opinions on exhaust size between the 4 and 5? im going to dump out the side right before the rear tire, no over axle pipe needed that way!
4" is sufficent with a turbo

THANKS GUYS!

how many miles are on it and how well was it maintained? there are a few issues like the rocker arms, glow plug controller set up that need to be verified if they were updated or serviced. check the tech section for more info.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea make sure you read through the FAQ's and tech articles above. Some refinements to the previous answer.....

E4OD and ZF5 ==> Must be diesel specific. Not all trans of that model are the same.

33" tires are fine with no cutting or adjustments. To go bigger you need a lift.

7.3 pump works fine on a 6.9 and vica versa. The only difference between pumps is the calibration, which is for emissions purposes. If you want some serious smoke look here.

Old and Saggy? That could be a lot of people on this board. What's wrong with that? LOL

No performance difference between 4 and up. You start to loose velocity if you get to big and the smoke just wafts out like the titanic setting sail. If you have a turbo you really don't need or want a muffler if you like a good rumble.

EGT's must be measured within 3" of the exhaust manifold.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
awesome stuff. those answers help ton. any other input will also be GREATLY appreciated. i was going to run a 4inch with no muffler, while NA, and just leave it for the turbo once i can find one to swap over. after i swap in a turbo, do i need to make any adjustments to the IP? how easy is it to hook up a turbo timer? or is it impossible?

are there any write up on those tranny swaps?

Last edited:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
One more thing, if you decide on the E4OD, you'll need a controller for it. Stock isn't that great or reliable and you may have problems wiring it up to such an early truck. Baumann makes a stand alone unit.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
what models did the e40d come in (diesel)? my gas bronco had one, but it wasnt diesel. how much is that stand alone unit?

also, by street preformer, i meant, NOT offroader. just pulling my 19ft tri-hull I/O with some ease, and sound good and smoke out ricers at traffic lights. HA HA HA!

though... wouldnt it be kool to see a beater old diesel on 36"s run an autoX. hahahaha. yeah right....

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The Baumann unit is $425 and a premade harness is $150 (well worth it) http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

There are a couple of others out there, but quite a bit more $.

The trans came in any Ford diesel truck or van from about '89 to '97 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

One other thing to look at is the early 6.9 had a problem with the block cracking when using the block heater.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
The Baumann unit is $425 and a premade harness is $150 (well worth it) http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm

There are a couple of others out there, but quite a bit more $.

The trans came in any Ford diesel truck or van from about '89 to '97 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

One other thing to look at is the early 6.9 had a problem with the block cracking when using the block heater.

well, i will check the block because i know this one has a black heater, though i have no idea how much if at all it was ever used. should i remove the block heater? or cut the wire out? where about should i check on the black?

along with a e4od diesel, i can have rebuilt and shift kited for about 600, do i just take the same flywheel and tc from the donor vehicle? also, that controller, does it control the TV (or "kick down cable") on that tranny also?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
well, i will check the block because i know this one has a black heater, though i have no idea how much if at all it was ever used. should i remove the block heater? or cut the wire out? where about should i check on the black?

along with a e4od diesel, i can have rebuilt and shift kited for about 600, do i just take the same flywheel and tc from the donor vehicle? also, that controller, does it control the TV (or "kick down cable") on that tranny also?

As long as it doesn't get so cold that you need it, just don't use it (it plugs into 120v outlet). It's located on the passenger side of the block.

$600 for a rebuild? May want to check on that. Unless you're getting a rippin deal from a friend, that's pretty low. I think you'll need the flywheel and TC. No kick down cable, it goes off the throttle position sensor on the IP and electronically shifts the tranny. That's something else you'll need to check on, as I don't think the early IP had one.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
kool. thanks. how cold is cold enough to need the block heater? it gets pretty cold here in ohi. but not to terrible. i think im just going to drive this a bit a buy a later model something (diesel), or a better shape diesel. im going to use this thing to learn how these work and what makes them tick. ive always been a gasser.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you shouldn't need a block heater in cincy if your glow plugs are working properly. i live in the snow belt and never needed the block heated until i stopped using the truck as a daily driver.

acousticrawk

Reaction score
yeah, wintersim in the natti. summers i sepnd in springfield wich is right between dayton and cbus. where is chardon? anyone know any good places to look and what kind of good reliable turbo diesels to look at? i think im looking to spend about 6k on a used diesel maybe in about a month. i dont really dig on the nerwe round styles. im leaning towards something squareish. but, also, what i like about the newer diesels in the fact you can get more power from them just using a piggy back computer. so... any input in this are would be great! y'all are a ton fo help, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online