First Oil change

camoman

Reaction score
Ok I have been taking my truck in for service for 30,000km and now I am going to start doing it my self.
I want to put Amsoil 5W30 HD Synthetic in it..
Is there anything special I need to know before changin the oil?!? I have don gassers all my life and soem older diesels but not a 6.0L. Just lookin for advice or tricks of the trade ;Sweet

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
when u go to do it just open the oil filter lid first so all the oil drains out then go on how u would do any other one.

But realize that the oil filter cap is SPRIIIIING loaded, so keep your hand on it.

Please don't ask how I know this :D

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a pan that can accept a high volume of oil at a time. A dime or quarter size drain hole in a typical plastic pan is not sufficient and you'll find yourself plugging the pan hole with your finger to allow the top of the pan to drain.

Trust me. LOL

camoman

Reaction score
wow thanks for all the tips guys!! I really appreciate it!

Any of you use Amsoil?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Not me, I'm sticking with good old fashioned dead dinosauers although there are folks who use it and other synthetics with no problems.

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up on M1 but couldn't justify 4 gallons every 3 months in my PSD's.

However, I came across a deal on a case of Amsoil and I'm on my 2 gallon of it in the Rabbit.

camoman

Reaction score
Rcannon said:
tip: Be careful not to overfill it. It says put 15 qts, but some report that is overfull and have issues. I advise putting 14 qts and checking the level.

I ahve heard that too.. accually ford has a TSB out saying only fill to the bottom of the dipstick.. this was for the 04 6.0L .. however my dealer has always filled it up to the line..

strokin

Reaction score
I run amsoil in mine and have not had a problem. But for the winter i decided to run 10w-30 instead of the 5w-30. It's just a cost difference. And now that i put the light oil in it, the truck doesn't idle at 1000 rpm's when i start it when it's cold.

camoman

Reaction score
strokin said:
I run amsoil in mine and have not had a problem. But for the winter i decided to run 10w-30 instead of the 5w-30. It's just a cost difference. And now that i put the light oil in it, the truck doesn't idle at 1000 rpm's when i start it when it's cold.

so does it ever idle up anymore?!

strokin

Reaction score
yeah it idles up to 750. but it used to idle up to 1000. Now atleast it doesn't sound like it's going to fly apart

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7