First oil change...

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first oil/filter change on my 6.0.

Any tips, tricks, do's, and dont's.

TIA

John

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing to it unless things changed between 03 and 06.

Now the fuel filter on the frame can be a little fun even if you drain it first.

nmu1974

Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Loosen the oil filter housing first, so most on the oil drains of the filter.

Punch a hole in the bottom of the filter but first loosen it to make sure the the factory has not put the filter on too tight to get off. I found that a diesel oil filter tends to be much harder to take off that a regular car, even when I do it. If you put a hole in the filter and are not able to take it off it is probably going to be real embarrassing for the tow and the explaination to the stealership.

While you are under her don't forget the lube points up front too.

The other problem is how to handle almost 4 gallons of waste oil. I used a plastic el-cheapo pan from Auto Works. Then I would struggle to fill 4 gallon bleach bottles to take it to the dump. The problem is the filler neck of the bleach bottle is so much smaller than that of the pan - lots of spills even with a funnel. The funnel can become top heavy and fall over. I went to my local fried foods restaurant and found that their frying oil comes in handy plastic carrying containers and have a mouth almost twice the size of the oil pan's and a carrying handle, and better yet - they're free, they go through hundreds of them every year. Now it's real easy to just dump that 4 gallons into the 5 gallon jug and take it to the dump. Quick and no mess.

BTW - perhaps you can make a deal for some bio-diesel WVO at the same time.

Last edited:

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nmu1974 said:
Punch a hole in the bottom of the filter but first loosen it to make sure the the factory has not put the filter on too tight to get off. I found that a diesel oil filter tends to be much harder to take off that a regular car, even when I do it. If you put a hole in the filter and are not able to take it off it is probably going to be real embarrassing for the tow and the explaination to the stealership.

While you are under her don't forget the lube points up front too.

The other problem is how to handle almost 4 gallons of waste oil. I used a plastic el-cheapo pan from Auto Works. Then I would struggle to fill 4 gallon bleach bottles to take it to the dump. The problem is the filler neck of the bleach bottle is so much smaller than that of the pan - lots of spills even with a funnel. The funnel can become top heavy and fall over. I went to my local fried foods restaurant and found that their frying oil comes in handy plastic carrying containers and have a mouth almost twice the size of the oil pan's and a carrying handle, and better yet - they're free, they go through hundreds of them every year. Now it's real easy to just dump that 4 gallons into the 5 gallon jug and take it to the dump. Quick and no mess.

BTW - perhaps you can make a deal for some bio-diesel WVO at the same time.

The 6.0 is a cartridge filter that sits on top of the motor much like a BMW or VW.

nmu1974

Reaction score
TooMuchBoost said:
The 6.0 is a cartridge filter that sits on top of the motor much like a BMW or VW.

OOPS, sorry, forgot I wasn't in the 7.3 forum.