First day working on the 7.3TD

BobF

Reaction score
So I purchased a 94 4wd idi 7.3 turbo diesel from a Co worker... Took solid care of it as it appeared...but things are not quite that. Unfortunately I am the guy that starts on one thing and makes it a career.... Blah. Had truck 2 weeks and appears water pump is going bad, bearing noise plus fan can be moved around. Allegedly the whole system was gone through, no so looking at the pump.

Coolant is clean, replacing with vc5 and sca, flushing out with with distilled, new 13lb cap, thermostat, serpentine, hoses great shape. Using FoMoCo pieces. Then I started looking at other things and more purchases till the living room was cluttered with boxes. Wife looked like the kid from Home Alone with her 'not again'. Had a 73 Bronco I restored fully... She knows better.

Regardless, a good number of projects coming so I will be picking your extensive knowledge base so I can feel comfortable with this truck.

Regards

Bob

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, thats called pandoras box.
some of us have this disease too!
hopefully my 87 will be done this month.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm not sure it there is an award for sliding down the slippery slope but I could probably get a nomination. A bad brake line led to a frame off reconstruction. It happens... easier than you'd think.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your truck!

BobF

Reaction score
So you are enablers... sweet. Have the coolant system, brakes lines to stainless, have a hydroboost in my shelf collecting dust, need to do the ball joints and hubs, interior panels to be replaced, Kenwood stereo with Rockford Fosgate amps and subs, Kappa Infinity speakers, rebuild the Sterling... then look at coating the undercarriage. Want a reliable truck for the dirt bike.. motor I will leave stock, just well maintained

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are enablers... sweet. Have the coolant system, brakes lines to stainless, have a hydroboost in my shelf collecting dust, need to do the ball joints and hubs, interior panels to be replaced, Kenwood stereo with Rockford Fosgate amps and subs, Kappa Infinity speakers, rebuild the Sterling... then look at coating the undercarriage. Want a reliable truck for the dirt bike.. motor I will leave stock, just well maintained

while you have rear end apart I would get a locker.

BobF

Reaction score
Haven't thought that far down the road yet and if the truck will stay for long. I have a nasty tendency to build things and get all sano... then sell it off

BobF

Reaction score
Damn, long day flushing, then pulled the pump... blue RTV on each bolt which was odd. Only two bolts as I know gets a thread sealant so go figure and I am no fan of that stuff in bolt holes. Spent a good hour with a razor blade and sand paper cleaning the block. Pump was definitely shot and I ran out of time and daylight.

Taking the new pump to work to paint and clean up all the bolts. The block blind threaded holes I shall run a wire in to check they are not filled with RTV and blow them out, except the two up top. Learning nothing goes fast on these trucks...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 center bolts on the water pump need RTV, they go into the timing gear cover and will leak oil if ya dont
'

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 center bolts on the water pump need RTV, they go into the timing gear cover and will leak oil if ya doing

yes what he said. I just did my water pump and put RTV on the bolts, I didn't on the last pump and they leaked pretty bad.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys...you freakin RTV phreaks....

Not all of us have the RTV LOVE...some prefer a lil sething called liquid thread sealant...or I often use oil compatible BLUE locktight....

You can RTV the ***** outta stuff and still have leaks...its all in the prep!

I honestly cant remember what I used in the tech article for water pump...but something tells me not RTV...i dont like ****** berries of that ***** breaking off messing up me oiling system.....

^^^^^ Same reason you WON'T see me use (cough) teflon tape (cough) it has no place on our trucks...no where.

JM7.3CW

BobF

Reaction score
Prefect, thank you. I have built an engine here and there and never used RTV on threads. I use a sealant that is compatible. Gaskets no RTV, unless required. Was taught using a clean surface, gasket glue both mating surfaces, let set, another thin coat and set gasket. Can't recall a leak. With regard to wet thread holes, I only use sealants non hardening and non RTV. It's a preference and what I was trained on. RTV is fine, but someone put it on all the bolts and that is not good. Had my youngest chase and blow out the blind holes. Bolts will be coated anti seize. Overall only one bolt had rust so that was addressed. Got everything painted, block is clean, pump mating surface checked for burs. Ready to put together. Going with Vc5 coolant and sca added.

Attachments

• IMG_20160305_083055.jpg
    IMG_20160305_083055.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

BobF

Reaction score
I love all the different input. A lot of different ways to do things, I enjoy reading them. A great group here... So who is 4x4 expert, needing some advice soon on transfer case and ball joints.

Thank you gentlemen