First Coolant Filter Change

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you guys who have the traditional (non-release) coolant filters, how long did you go before you changed the first one out and what's your interval for changing?
I have about 5k on my first one now and curious to hear opinions.
Thanks in advance.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I will be running a normal coolant filter with Fleet Guard ES Compleat, just find out what SCA or DCA the filter puts out and check the levels with a test strip! Not sure how long they last, guess it just depends on the coolant, SCA/DCA, and conditions.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's in line with the heater core, change it when your heat output decreases.

From what I've seen here and other forums, normally after the first filter change, not much junk is collected.
Like they'll cut open the filter, first one is full of stuff. Second will hardly have any.
Some is said to be casting sand, sca dropout, and stuff from minerals in water.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I try to change mine yearly but even then its way over kill.

It really all depends on what shape your cooling system is in. If it has been neglected and is dirty and full of junk and corrosion you might go through a lot of filters.

But on the other hand if your cooling system is in good shape and nice and clean the filters will last a long time.

When I added my coolant filter I did several things. I flushed the old coolant out and then flushed with just water several times to clean anything left behind out. After that I installed the coolant filter and refilled with new coolant. So the first time I changed my coolant filter there wasn't much to see really. I cut the filter open but it was pretty clean. Just a few specs of casting sand is all that I seen.

Cut your filters open and see whats inside and let that determine how often you change them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally change my coolant filter every time I change my fuel filter. I'm probably changing it more often that necessary, but with the two filters being right next to each other, it's easier to remember that way, and other than cost, I figure I'm not hurting anything ;Sweet

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's in line with the heater core, change it when your heat output decreases.

From what I've seen here and other forums, normally after the first filter change, not much junk is collected.
Like they'll cut open the filter, first one is full of stuff. Second will hardly have any.
Some is said to be casting sand, sca dropout, and stuff from minerals in water.

This sounds right to me. Once the system is clean, it should generate very little material and do so slowly.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's run in parallel with the heater core lines so no change in heater output is noted. SCAs are good and maintained. My fuel filter has another 5k on it so I'll either defer it until then or swap it out with a new uncharged one now and then start with a dual fuel/coolant filter change.
I didn't know if there was a preferred change schedule for those that don't use the time-release ones.
Thanks again guys.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first (wix[napa]-blank) filter @ 7-8k miles on chip truck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5_1.jpg
    5_1.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 67

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of coolant filter (and part number) are people using?
This is going to depend on where you source your filter head. I don't know how "standard" the filters are, but I suspect that a filter meant for one head won't fit a different head.

I went with the Napa filter and head because, where I live, Napa Auto Parts stores are much more common than agricultural or heavy truck supply shops that might have a different brand are.

As to part numbers, take a look at the first page of the coolant filter install article for the Napa filter part numbers and figure out which one you want, based on how much SCA you're already running and how much (if any) you want to add to the system.

Hope that helps ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online