Firing a low compression motor

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
sure the problem with starting aids is that it can be injested and ignited at any time its not controlled and timed to prevent damage

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the flamethrower like some old garbage trucks and such had...IDK, just a thought. Yes you'll need either modified pistons or a custom set for lower CR. How about just plugging it in instead?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Flamethrower? Dont follow. Could plug it in but it probly wouldnt do so hot camping.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How would you switch between injecting gas and diesel? Or are you just talking about injecting gas through the intake manifold or something?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you know about the gas pony motors the old diesel tractors have...I assume that's what is meant. Its not a dumb idea, but I don't know if it could work with the 6.9. Where are you going to put a little 5hp gasoline motor, how you gonna attach it to the 6.9, is there room for all this...which motor? Just makes life difficult...

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I meant like have an extra like 5 gallon fuel cell and have it wired to a tank selector switch like the dual tank trucks have and shut it off with it on gas ready to start it and then as soon as it starts flip the switch over to diesel. My grandpa has an old Caterpillar dozer that starts like that.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the problem is the timing would have to be different for the gas then switched when on diesel. We use to have an old tractor that you started on gas then you could switch it to whatever you had to run usually a distilled fuel but the way it worked the intake had a heat chamber that got hot from the exhaust gasses to help the other fuels warm up and ignite easier. They also had one you started on gas with a carb on one side then switched to diesel with an IP and injectors on the other side. Again the problem is making sure the whatever fuel you use lights at the right time