Firestone Air Bag Mod = Gooseneck / Fifth Wheel Compatible

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all the members wanting to use air bags on their 80-96 fords, but can't because of a goose neck or fifth wheel hitch ... It is now possible..... You need a 2330 or 2550 Firestone air bag kit ... The top brackets need lengthened 2.5" on their straight section... Grind the 1/2" tab off of the shock bracket closest to the leaf springs and they fit like a glove... I even used an 1108 B&W hitch for a 2008 and newer over a 1110 suggested for an 80-96 ford with very little modification (redrilled two holes). I can take pictures tonight if anyone would be interested

gandalf

Reaction score
That's good news. As I recall, there is still a problem installing airbags on a dually, isn't there?

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done a dually yet, I could see where their would be a problem with less room to work with

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will get some today if I leave the house or in the next day or two..... High today is -4 degrees and got 14" of snow yesterday..... YAY

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Id like to see pictures...
My 87' came with airbags and rails for a 5th wheel setup. The right side bag is blown and I need to source a replacement. Almost looks like I'll have to unbolt the bed and lift it a couple inches to get in there and change it out. Not looking forward to it.

There is a complete setup.on my 86' parts truck but it looks different than what's on my 87'. Would like to see what your setup looks like and maybe help me identify mine.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Universal rail mount kits don't require the bag mounts to be modified. :)

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took four pictures tonight for anyone wanting to see them... Trucks pictured are a 2009 F350, and 1994 F350... Both trucks used bag kit Firestone 2550 and B&W hitch 1108... I'll put a small description above each picture explaining what you are looking at.

Picture #1 . This is the 2009 truck showing the stock unmodified top bracket and spacer from firestone

You must be registered for see images attach

Picture #2. This is the 1994 Truck showing the extended top brackets 2.5"... They only need to be lengthened on the straight section, but I kinda over engineered them overlapping new steel, grinding the welds and painting them.... The spacer you see that looks like a piece of pipe with threads on it is indeed black iron pipe 1.25" long... My kit came from ebay and was missing the smooth round spacers provided by Firestone so I used what I had laying around.... The 2009 has the same spacers, you just cant see them from the angle I took the picture and the lip on the frame is hanging down.... But behind that I assure you is the same 1.25" spacer

Picture #3. This is the 2009 truck showing how the bag kit mounts next to the 4" blocks with bail clamp and axle clamp next to the shock bracket

Picture #4 This is the 1994 Truck showing the bags mounted with grinding a 1/2" off the shock mount where the screw driver is pointing too

In conclusion, everything fits well with no rubbing..... There's not alot holding the bags on, but I assure you they are sturdy and unbreakable.... I've ran 100 pounds of air pressure in these bags on carrying 23,000-24,000 pounds on a gooseneck trailer with zero problems... I've also sled pulled for years with this setup on the 2009.... If that didn't break them nothing should LOL

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other bag setup I've used on the 80-96 trucks is their 2071 kit, which mounts the bags on top of the leaf springs, out side the frame between it and the tire..... I don't care for this kit as it is exposed to a ton of dirt, mud, snow etc. Its also hinders the use of larger tires and over load springs

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same bags on my dually as still stricken just described and a b&w turn over ball and never had problems with clearance. now rust that's another thing.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other bag setup I've used on the 80-96 trucks is their 2071 kit, which mounts the bags on top of the leaf springs, out side the frame between it and the tire..... I don't care for this kit as it is exposed to a ton of dirt, mud, snow etc. Its also hinders the use of larger tires and over load springs

I had that kit on my 96 cc with the factory overloads and 35x12.50 tires. Loved it, sturdy and not help up by a 3/4" pipe nipple :rotflmao But seriously, Im suprised thats built that way from the factory, looks pretty sketchy (even before it was modified to fit the wrong pickup)

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not "held up by a 3/4" pipe nipple", did you not see the 3/16" plate bracket in the picture? Where's it going to go? All it has to do is push straight up. It's not maintaining lateral sway of the truck it has 7 leaf springs to that job. But since you question what I've wrote, feel free to check out firestones PDF install file for 2550 kits

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question - has anyone tried using the standard 80-96 ford kit and just modifying the upper brackets the bolt to the gooseneck hitch frame instead of the main frame? This has always been my plan, but I'm not sure if may there's some reason it doesn't work well I'm not aware of.