Axle Wrap/Wheel Hop

RedTruck

Reaction score
I posted this in the towing hauling section, but didn't get any response. I'm wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion:

I have a question for those of you who haul gooseneck or fifth wheel. My own personal vehicle that I use for hauling is an '84 F250, but I've also experienced this same problem using a '96 Dodge dually.

While pulling a gooseneck if you hit a bump just right it sets off the rear axle so you get that bucking feeling. Usually it gets worse unless you really poor the coals to it or let off the throttle. I've done a little research and have found that this is caused by torque applied to the axle that creates axle wrap which in turn causes wheel hop...hence the bucking feeling.

Both vehicle listed above have a standard leaf spring/shock suspension. There are no stabilizers or air bags or any additional items added to the stock rig. In the research I have done they recommend stiffer springs or some sort of aftermarket linked suspension.

Does anyone have real life experience with this? If so, what have you done to solve the problem. Primarily I'm interested in what I can do to the '84 Ford to prevent this problem, but I'd be interested in what you folks have done to solve the problem in any type of pickup.

Thanks much for any help or discussion,

Paul

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I do not have real experience yet, but I would agree that airbags will make the susp stiffer and reduce/eliminate that bouncing/backing feeling. Tom (Twreler-sp) send Me a link to this site where they sale the airbags, hope I can get them soon.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ladder bars, single bar done right, stiffer springs, add a leaf, better shocks & mabey a couple I don't know about are about the only way to stop this. Your choices are also limited to how much articulation you need to retain.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my V-8 Ranger years back mostly due to extreme "go fast" power I was putting out with the 351W.
Rancho mad a torsion bar setup that bolted to the rear axle and ran up about 4-5 feet forawrd and mounted to the frame rails. Talk about MAJOR improvement. They totally eliminated the axle wrap but kept the vertical travel at full range. I'm not sure they still make em but they appear to be fairly easy to make.

Here's a link to what they look like.;Sweet

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '86, I removed a couple leafs(leaving 3) and put in the Firestone "ride-rite" airbags. This gives a nice ride unloaded, but allows for a heavy load by just putting in some air. Since everything is a compromise, when there is no air, I got a lot of axle wrap especially when starting with a load.

Essentially I made my own stabilizer bar. I rigged up a bar that clamps to the top of the pumpkin(where the stock sway bar would mount) and then a 1"x2" square tube going forward and mounted to a crossmember just even with where the leaf springs mount. It is rigid to the pumpkin, but is hinged at the front where it mounts to the crossmember.(I just welded on a single eye off an old shock absorber) This prevents rotation of the pumpkin completely, while still allowing for the up/down articulation of the axle. Works exactly the same as a set of ladder bars, but is just a single. Made it out of scraps from around my shop, pro'ly cost about 5 bucks if you had to buy the metal.

Ain't particularly pretty, but works like a hot damn.

Of course, not everyone can do their own fab/welding, but it's just an idea.

Zigg :)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to what they look like.;Sweet
That's what I meant by single bar. Just looked through the Rancho catalog and don't see it in there and don't know who make them now. This is about the best bet to retain articulation of the suspension and limit axle wrap.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem pulling the 5'ver or the G/N trailer. I'm planning adding some trak bars like the ones pictured. I figure some steel tube attached the the axle under the laeves and some sort of pivot up on the frame.
Have also concidered useing 1/2 ton springs with air bags for a better ride. Sounds like I will definately need to do something to prevent axle wrap.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rancho kicker shocks on the Moose Truck always catch a lot of attention. Too bad they don't make them anymore. They work, but like any other shock, they wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. They work much the same way as the torsion bars mentioned previously.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Thanks fellas for the replies.

I saw Zigg post something about his home built setup once upon a time. I was hoping you would say something. I just may end up going a route similar to what you have.

I followed Tonkadoctors link, but can't find anything related to the 80-86 F250/F350. Does anyone know where I can find something like this for an 80-86?

Thanks for all the help,

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online