FIPL

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well after the alternator and brake trouble now i've got tranny issues. -cuss
it is in limp mode and shifting harder than a somb*tch.when you first start the truck its fine,but after a little bit of throttle is aplied the OD OFF light starts flashing.shut the the truck off and restart and its fine until throttle is aplied.
took it to a friend with a scan tool and he pulled some codes and did some tests and came to the conclusion that the FILP has a dead/flat spot in it.
sound right to you guys?
i'll need to get one from the stealership correct?
also i just read and printed the page on reseting the FIPL from the tech section,if i replace the FIPL and adjust it correctly will the trans have to relearn WOT and IDLE?
any other thoughts(besides ripping out the E4OD and putting the ZF5 in :D )

gandalf

Reaction score
The FIPL is not a dealer only item. I bought mine at my local parts house. I thought the price was pretty reasonable. If my memory is right, I think I paid about $30.

Did you say you got the change-out procedure from the tech section? Good. Its not a tough job. All you need is a multimeter, a paperclip, and a couple handtools. Just be sure to follow the instructions.

HTH

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i figured it was avalible at napa or somplace like that,but i'd rather spend a little extra for something that controls my rather expensive junk oops i mean e4od

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I got mine from ford too, 25 bucks here. Just slap on the new one and it should be good to go. If you already have done this in the past you don't even need a meter. But attach the meter to the center wire on the FIPL and get it to around 1 volt. Tranny won't have to relearn anything.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i put the new FIPL on last night,just set it to where the old one was,now it shifts hard from first to second the rest of the shifts are good :confused:
and the lights still blinking :mad:
i'll put my meter on it tommorrow and go from there,it that dont fix it maybe i'll have to use the old blinking clock on the VCR fix(a piece of black tape) :D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
well i put the new FIPL on last night,just set it to where the old one was,now it shifts hard from first to second the rest of the shifts are good :confused:
and the lights still blinking :mad:
i'll put my meter on it tommorrow and go from there,it that dont fix it maybe i'll have to use the old blinking clock on the VCR fix(a piece of black tape) :D

Well , figures. Never that easy to fix. You must have a rubbed through wire somewheres. Have a look around and make sure no wires are in contact with anything that might vibrate or rub them. A piece of tape over the light won't help at all. You do that and within a couple hundred miles you'll need to spend at least 1,000 bucks instead of fix a simple wiring problem. That's what happend to me :mad:

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Pull the codes again, and see what they show now. If they show the same, I would pull the negative off of the battery and let the computer reset itself. Then plug it all back up and drive it again.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i ajusted the FIPL this morning,i have 1.1 at idle but can only get 3.6 at WOT.
it seems to shift fine now but the light is still blinking.but still after i first start the truck it is not blinking,but after i give it some throttle it starts blinking.
turbo69,i have done the neg battery cable thing many times and had good luck,but not this time :mad:
i'll have get ahold of my buddy with the scan tool and go from there

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
If you want to do it yourself, go to the IDI tech section and look up the trouble codes article. I still have not updated the article to include the code definitions, but I think I might tonite or sometime soon...

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i pulled the codes using the test light method ;Sweet
i got 26- tps set to high
and 67-park/neutral circuit problem
well i rechecked the FIPL/TPS and it was still at 1.1 at idle,but when i went to WOT i didnt change at all :mad: i'm thinking i got a bad FIPL
should i try setting it a little a lower at idle?
the other thing that bothered me was i never could get 3.8 at WOT,just 3.6.
was going to check the resistance of the FIPL but it started to rain like a sombeech,have to wait till tommorrow

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
3.6 should be fine at wide open throttle. I would take the FIPL off and have a gander, almost sounds like the little twisty thing on the IP that turns with the throttle which turns the FIPL circle-do wasn't positioned correctly. When you put the FIPL on make sure that little paddle/twisting thing on the IP is in the right posotion in the FIPL. Hope that makes sense cookoo

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
yeah i checked the paddle/twistie thingy :D
i think i got it (i'll keep my fingers crossed):D :D the codes were 23 and 99 after i checked them again
i messed with the adjustment some more and got 1.099 at idle and 3.86 at WOT ;Sweet
then i cleared the codes and let it idle for two minutes following code 99,and no more blinking light,thank god.
thanks for all the help guys,i really am thankfull for all the help :hail :hail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online