FIPL sensor help

BossHog

Reaction score
Long story short I bought a 1991 7.3 knowing it wasn’t shifting out of 1st gear. My only option was to drive it to the nearest transmission shop. After rebuilding the tranny and troubleshooting some sensors came to find no FIPL sensor on the pump. So that is likely why it’s not shifting (though the rebuild did end up being necessary.)
What I’m trying to figure out is if a later year FIPL sensor is compatible. Or if what I need is actually called a FIPL sensor. I can’t find the sensor for my year and I’m wondering if a later year would work. I read in another post that ford actually recalled the FIPL at one point so I’m assuming they are somewhat cross compatible.
You must be registered for see images attach
The blue circle is where I’m missing what I think is supposed to be a FIPL.
Appreciate any help or feedback!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I really can't believe it was totally missing. You are going to need a couple button head bolts. Check the pigtail sitting there for the locking tabs. supposed to be 2, you can get away with one. If they are missing you're going to have to look that up on Rockauto too. Whats the ground on the intake manifold for? Whatever it is, I would put that on the frame.

gandalf

Reaction score
You would run no TPS/FIPL on this engine if it had a manual transmission. If it has an automatic of any sort it requires the TPS/FIPL in order to control the transmission.

Below will be a picture of an IP with no TPS/FIPL. Take note of the black "spade" fitting. That rotates as you advance the throttle, feeding information through the TPS/FIPL to the transmission's computer. As you adjust the position of the TPS/FIPL you change that information. If there is no TPS/FIPL that will put the transmission into limp mode.

The second picture shows the TPS/FIPL in position. It's the gray thing behind the white tag on some wire. It feeds information to the computer through the black attachment with 3 wires.

There are instructions on adjusting the TPS/FIPL somewhere in the tech articles.

Attachments

• DSCF7665.JPG
    DSCF7665.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF7693.JPG
    DSCF7693.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 12

BossHog

Reaction score
@quickster I still haven’t had a chance to look it over really good because it’s been in the shop since I bought it. But that ground was something I did notice. My worry now is getting the position of the TPS right. Because I have no way of knowing what position it was in when it was removed initially.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say that the ground looks like the ground wire that's supposed to attach to the back of the head. The other end will be attached to the firewall. It will work fine where it's at, but it does look funny.

BossHog

Reaction score
Any advice on getting the TPS in the right position? I’ve read in other threads to be careful when removing so that the new one goes on in the same position. Since I’m not the one who removed it how do I ensure proper position?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Any advice on getting the TPS in the right position? I’ve read in other threads to be careful when removing so that the new one goes on in the same position. Since I’m not the one who removed it how do I ensure proper position?
Take a look at these threads, I have a C6 so follow E40D threads but can’t always relate as no way to test that system.

There is a member in the second thread who offers to send docs so ping him via private message via the mail icon at the top right of this page.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac