FIPL sensor...

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do u generally remove the bracket then replace the sensor, then install the bracket with the new sensor on, but not tightening the bracket all the way so i can adjust? Do i have it down? I just dont like to tear in into things without understanding them as much as possible. Thanks for the help.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Remove the 2 torx screws, pull sensor off, replace sensor with screws snugged, then adjust as described above, tighten the bolts when adjustment is complete, and check settings once tight to be sure they didn't move.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the 2 torx screws, pull sensor off, replace sensor with screws snugged, then adjust as described above, tighten the bolts when adjustment is complete, and check settings once tight to be sure they didn't move.

Thanks man exactly what I needed. Appreciate it.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also which wire is the fast idle? Im gonna remove that so I can get accurate readings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fast idle wire is on that plunger located on the passenger side of the pump. The two wires found on top of the pump are the fuel shutoff solenoid. Thats the one thats a larger connection and its closest to the radiater. The one to the back of the pump is the internal advance and it has a smaller electrical connection.

gandalf

Reaction score
The fast idle wire is on that plunger located on the passenger side of the pump. ...

I've found that pictures usually help. On top of that, I enjoy taking pictures.

In the attached picture the fast idle solenoid is half in the picture, enough to identify it. The bottom of the picture is toward the front of the engine. Do you see the redish/orange thing, part of the throttle setup? Below that, toward the bottom of the picture, is a lever type thing, and below that is the plunger coming out of the fast idle solenoid. Hope that helps you locate things.

You must be registered for see images attach

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I wasn't help to get the paper clip into the wire. Idk if the paperclip is crucial to the reading or not. The + end of the meter was sharp enough to penetrate the middle wire and these are the readings I got (truck off, key on) at idle 1.274 and steadily increasing the throttle 1.842. What does this mean lol?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If what you posted about the idle reading is 1.274 and wide open is 1.842 then something is not correct. Did you mean the high reading was 4.842. If so then thats not right either. Its too close to the magic 5 volts where the computer shuts down. What wire are you testing from. It must be the center wire in the tps plug.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If what you posted about the idle reading is 1.274 and wide open is 1.842 then something is not correct. Did you mean the high reading was 4.842. If so then thats not right either. Its too close to the magic 5 volts where the computer shuts down. What wire are you testing from. It must be the center wire in the tps plug.

Ok from what im looking at you have the sensor with the plug, the plug has three wires. I tested the center one. (truck off, key forward) I put the neg lead on the neg battery post. Idk what I could be doing wrong?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol my throttle was a little sticky and I got bad readings the first time. Now I have 1.268 at idle and 04.26 at WOT.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would drop the idle setting back to 1.2 volts. Then retest the high reading. I think you will be happy at 1.2 volts. Glad you found the problem and fixed it. Are you advancing the throttle by hand and watching the voltmeter reading. I stand on anything I can when I'm working on the top of the engine. If I'm timing I turn on the ignition in the cab and start from the fender mounted solenoid. To shut down the engine I lift the power to the injection pump fuel shutoff solenoid. This way I don't have to get up and down all the time. I cut out my bumper on both sides of the license plate so my feet fit right in those as steps to work from.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my new sensor installed. I got it as close to 1.2 as I could (1.210) and at WOT 4.15. Truck seems to run great so far, however I did have one random funny shift but everything seems good. Thanks for all your guys help.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, after a few of very informative posts, :yell: We beat another tranny shop out of a job. :rolleyes: :D
I think I'd move out of Detroit tho, I did in 1950. :D

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i need your guys help again. The truck is doing the same thing as of tonight. It shifts bad and the od light comes on. What else can I do. I put the new fipl sensor in set the voltage, also has a new speed sensor in rear diff. All motorcraft parts. This is frustrating especially because the truck was shifting very nice with the new fipls

gandalf

Reaction score
Have you pulled the transmission codes since you replaced the FIPL and the FSS? The next very common thing which will screw with the shifting is the Tach sensor, mounted on the gear housing for the IP. Also, you might want to check continuity on all the wires coming to and from these sensors. If the signal is not getting through to the transmission computer, then it thinks that sensor is bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes