FIPL sensor...

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that sensor goes bad will it cause the truck to shift funny and for the OD light to flash?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. If not in spec it will be stuck in second gear. And if on the extremes of spec it will make the shifts mushy or too harsh to handle.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick a VOM on it and check the voltage. Key on, no start, stick a paper clip straightened out in the center wire, POS lead there, at idle position .96 to 1.01 VDC, rotate throttle, should be smooth rise in voltage to 3.50 to 4.25 VDC.

gandalf

Reaction score
I believe OldBull did a typo. His 1.01 should be 1.10. His procedure is correct. Measure from the center wire on the FIPL, Key on, engine off.

I'll paste in an explanation from long ago.

[FONT=&quot]Here is a little history as to why we do it by voltage.......

By DieselDon

The TP (FIPL) sensor is incorporated to provide an electrical signal, which is proportional to the amount of fuel being delivered, as an input to the Transmission Electronic Control Assembly (TECA) Based on this information, the TP (FIPL) provides the proper shift scheduling and torque capacity.

Should a malfunction occur in the TP (FIPL) sensor circuit, the electrical signal sent to the TECA will be recognized as erroneous. When this out-of-specification signal is detected, the TECA will provide a high-capacity operating mode that protects the transmission from potential damage. This operating mode includes maximum TV pressure, resulting in harsh upshifts and engagements and a singular shift schedule regardless of accelerator pedal position, resulting in the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occurring at a speed commensurate with a heavy (but not wide open) throttle setting.

The Ford shop manual has a procedure to set the FIPL sensor. It's fairly long and required a special guage block and the use of the Super Star Tester ( early scan tool ). I decided that this was not what the "field" needed so I called the Ford Hotline and they gave me plain and simple voltage readings at closed throttle and WOT. MUCH easier.

Closed throttle voltage = 1.1V
WOT min 0f 3.8V not to exceed 4.3V

You definitely don't want 5V at WOT. PCM would read this as a short between Reference Voltage ( 5V ) and FIPL signal and go into failure mode.

Hope this helps.

Don is a valued member and is now contracted by Ford to fix a major part of their mistakes and suggest fixes on the new 6.0.....[/FONT]

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Ken for bringing back dieseldon. Had not heard that name is ages. The tps needs to be replaced about every 60,000 miles. I like the idle setting to be 1.2 volts. Thats what Brian at BTS told me to use on his built BTS E4OD trans. That thing is bullet proof...

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do not start the truck at all while using volt meter? Without it running giv it gas and see if there is a steady increase in voltage?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had truck scanned at the trans shop and the fipl sensor came up. I probably just check with voltmeter for the heck of it. How much r these sensors and will i have to adjust it? Thanks for the help guys.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Part is 40 dollars at most, can be had at most autoparts stores, they may only know ot as TPS even though thats incorrect since we dont have a throttle, and yes you have to set it once in.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do u adjust it? Also could somebody please post a pic if the sensor so i test the right thing

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes you will have to adjust the new tps. Simpley remove but watch and feel how it comes off the drive tab on the end of the throttl shaft. Install the new one the same way twisting it back in place. Once its installed tight to the bracket snug down the two adjusting bolts but not so tight that you can't move the switch bracket to make an adjustment. Now turn the ignition switch on but engine off. If your doing this on a cold engine you should remove the fast idle solenoid wire to make sure the throttle setting is at idle. Now that its done use the center wire on the switch plug for voltage reading. At idle setting key on but engine off the voltage is best at 1.1 or 1.2 volts. Its really a personal choice. The voltage factory oem setting is .96 to 1.2 volts. Once its set and the bracket is tight check it again. Now sweep the throttle wide open. Make sure you don't see 5 volts. At 5 volts the computer that controls the E4OD trans shuts down on over voltage and you go into limp home mode. Its very harsh to run the rig like that and it will kill the trans quickly. Its disegn is to "get you off the road safely".. Not limp home a thousand miles or so. I will bet the wide open voltage will be around 3.4 to 3.9 volts.. Maybe even low 4s. Please post back what you get for setting at the voltage you choose. Someone is here to help no matter what time of day or nite.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not too hard to set. Install the new one leaving the two mounting screws loose enough to turn the FIPL but not loose enough so it moves while opening the throttle. Then you take your DVOM readings. If it's not in spec, just move the FIPL forward or back until the readings are correct. It doesn't take much movement to change the readings a lot. I haven't personally used the DVOM method, the shop I used to work at had a couple of scan tools to use for this. I assume that if the idle reading is good then the WOT should be close, but make sure it's good. I don't have a pic, but the FIPL is on the driver's side of the IP. It has an electrical plug on the side of it. It's the only sensor on the IP.

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you will have to adjust the new tps. Simpley remove but watch and feel how it comes off the drive tab on the end of the throttl shaft. Install the new one the same way twisting it back in place. Once its installed tight to the bracket snug down the two adjusting bolts but not so tight that you can't move the switch bracket to make an adjustment. Now turn the ignition switch on but engine off. If your doing this on a cold engine you should remove the fast idle solenoid wire to make sure the throttle setting is at idle. Now that its done use the center wire on the switch plug for voltage reading. At idle setting key on but engine off the voltage is best at 1.1 or 1.2 volts. Its really a personal choice. The voltage factory oem setting is .96 to 1.2 volts. Once its set and the bracket is tight check it again. Now sweep the throttle wide open. Make sure you don't see 5 volts. At 5 volts the computer that controls the E4OD trans shuts down on over voltage and you go into limp home mode. Its very harsh to run the rig like that and it will kill the trans quickly. Its disegn is to "get you off the road safely".. Not limp home a thousand miles or so. I will bet the wide open voltage will be around 3.4 to 3.9 volts.. Maybe even low 4s. Please post back what you get for setting at the voltage you choose. Someone is here to help no matter what time of day or nite.
Is limp mode what my trans is doing now with the crappy shifts and flashing od light?

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just out lookin at the truck. I may be wrong but it looks like there r two small screws that hold the sensor to the adjustment plate. Can u not just unscrew it nd replace the sensor without that plate coming off? Then maybe just do a little adjusting?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you can try to replace it but your still going to need a digital voltmeter to know what the idle setting is set at. No way around that. Those small screws are a torq head screw. Not a phillips head screw either. I suggest replacing the screws if thats what holds the bracket to the pump with 1/4x20 threads hex bolts. Then a simple 7/16 combo wrench works wonders there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351