Finally, transmission reinstall

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I finally got my transmission reinstalled today. :draw My dad helped me out bc my brother is out of town, so many thanks to him. ;Sweet

However, can I run Mercon V in my ZF S5-42? It seems to be a little thin. I would run 5-6 qts. of it, poured in via shifter hole. (I searched to see if it had been asked, but after a long while I gave it up)

On another note, there is a hostage situation west of Ft. Worth right by my house (ish), about 5-7 miles down the highway in an 18-wheeler that was in a 2 hour police chase. They shot the radiator and fuel tanks after spiking the tires didn't work. Check it out, its kinda interesting. :eek:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think mercon dextron is what ford recomends for it, I don't know about overfill, I know some do but wy does it have the filler hole on the side then? I guess I don't know if that would make it leak so I rather don't overfill but maybe that is good for lube.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I knew it wasn't what they "recommended" for it... but we have people running motor oil in the trans. I was just hoping I could run it for about 1000 miles then run something else after I drain that. Reason is it was just rebuilt and there might be a little debris from new parts wearing in as well as some accumulated fine dust during the reinstall. I had the Mercon V laying around, a lot of it, and wanted to just run it. But as soon as I began filling it up, I realized how thin of a fluid it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US