Finally pulling the 6.9 for the swap

broncoholic

Reaction score
I'm finally pulling my 6.9 from a van to put in my rockcrawler. Is there anything special that i need to save off of the van? I'm going to cut the main wiring harness and alternator harness after the plug. Maybe the rear fuel tank too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid cutting any wiring. You never know when you'd find yourself wishing it was whole again.

broncoholic

Reaction score
Well, I'm only going to need to wire the glowplugs, fuel solenoid,starter,alternator, and an electric fan. I'ts going to be a bare-bones trail rig. Will the IDI's crank on one battery ? And I noticed that my fuel filter sits pretty high next to the air breather. Can I move it to gain clearance for my hood?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fuel filter assy is mounted to the frame rail behind the trans cross member. You can put it wherever you want. Yes, it will start on one battery. Until it gets cold outside. LOL

broncoholic

Reaction score
Well, I have officially opened a can of worms. I mocked the 6.9 up and have clearance issues LOL. The biggest problem is my starter solenoid. It is hitting the frame with the driverside exhaust as close as I can get on the other side. I even bought an AutoZone ministarter and it wasn't enough. Going to take some more measurements in the morning.The frame is only about 23.5" on the inside.I might slide the engine and tub back on the frame. If it doesn't look good I have some 2x3 tubing ready to go for a new frame

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I have officially opened a can of worms. I mocked the 6.9 up and have clearance issues LOL. The biggest problem is my starter solenoid. It is hitting the frame with the driverside exhaust as close as I can get on the other side. I even bought an AutoZone ministarter and it wasn't enough. Going to take some more measurements in the morning.The frame is only about 23.5" on the inside.I might slide the engine and tub back on the frame. If it doesn't look good I have some 2x3 tubing ready to go for a new frame

Are you using the mitsubishi style or the Nippindenso style?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's a bit smaller and it's hard to tell by the picture, but the thing basically rides in the truck the way it's sitting in the picture, so the narrow part would be where the wide part of the mitsu starter is and the the motor part rides up high.

You might have better luck with clearance with one of those. They're better starters anyway.

broncoholic

Reaction score
Waiting on the parts store. They ordered some more starters for me to look at. I found a perfect one for a powerstroke but the bendix doesn't throw as far as mine.

broncoholic

Reaction score
A 77 bronco. I gave up on a smaller starter and built a frame and motor mounts. Can't figure out how to post pics. I'm putting in a divorced transfer case and the radiator in the back to transfer some weight.I'll use the frame rails to get the coolant back to the radiator for a clean look

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad your not closer, I have the front half of the frame complete with crossmember from my F-350 parts source you could have had.