*FINALLY* My bulid is started

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys here it goes finally able to post what I am doing as I have all the pieces in place for what I am building.

7.3 IDI Block sleeved on all 8
Mahle STD destroked .10 pistons milled another .15 and ceramic coated
TYP4 cam
7.3 heads rebuilt with new pre chambers and comp 910 springs
Delphi BB matched injectors
rebuilt turbo cal IP
ARP studs
ATS 093 Turbo new CHRA with the big exhaust housing and 3in exhaust flange
Wicked Wheel 2
3 in DP to 4inch st8 exhaust
Isspro EV2 gauges
LUK SMF conversion
Electric fuel pump 7-9 psi at 40 GPH
Rotating assembly balanced
I have 90% of all the parts now saving for the machine work and I should have it running by June ;Sweet
Pics to soon follow as I start putting it all back together

Does anyone have anything else in mind as I am mildly building this engine for towing (Like TYP4's rig) and reliability not just cruising and rollin coal on my way to work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good idea what you want in the end. You might want to look into porting the exhaust ports but thats a big job too. Heres some pics of what I did a few times.
You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our intakes can be touched up as well to smooth out airflow. It's not a horrible casting as is, but we don't have to worry about fuel droplets accumulating on the walls (Ie gassers) so ours can be polished smooth.

Have you done the math to figure out your compression ratio with those offset and milled pistons? Taking too much squeeze out of a diesel may make for difficult starting.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my math is good it's a value of 1.2 CR drop per .010 so it should put me around 20-20.5-1 cause the block decking is gonna eat up .010. I live in CA so it's not as much of an issue as it is with guys east and north doesn't drop below 30 here.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
stock is 21.5 and with the higher pressure turbo you should be fine if you did your math right. Sounds like a cool project, what are you putting this in the 89 "1" wheeler

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it's going into my pic truck after the drivetrain comes the body and interior

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dropping the deck height .010 raises your comp .2:1 if my math is any good..lol
are you going oversize on the slugs or standard 7.3 bore?
really interested in the porting process, will start another thread so i dont hijack yours :D

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dropping the deck height .010 raises your comp .2:1 if my math is any good..lol
are you going oversize on the slugs or standard 7.3 bore?
really interested in the porting process, will start another thread so i dont hijack yours :D

Destroked and milled pistons will counter the increase from decking the block and drop him even further.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it's going to be std bore piston. my new head gaskets are .075 crushed. My old ones were .063 Measured at the fire rings. my heads were milled .007 and the machine shop compensated for that. So piston protrusion should be around .016 plus gained a little from the head gasket thickness.

Ford F834

Reaction score
Yes it's going to be std bore piston. my new head gaskets are .075 crushed. My old ones were .063 Measured at the fire rings. my heads were milled .007 and the machine shop compensated for that. So piston protrusion should be around .016 plus gained a little from the head gasket thickness.

What brand are your new head gaskets? Do you know if the old ones were original OEM gaskets or something else? Usually thinner is always stronger with HG's if they are made of equal material, but with 1/2 inch studs you are already into serious overkill territory for your fuel level. Just curious which brands have which crushed thickness.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
The short turn on the exhaust looks terribly tight. Is it possible to open that up any more to a more gentle radius? Where is coolant in these heads, any areas that are thin?

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have FP diesel gaskets part no 1811050 they are stamped with the international part number my old ones were the oem ones from 89 they make them thicker because of milling for the heads to achieve the clearances needed so valves don't kiss the Pistons cause there is only bout .030 between them

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got the pistons coated with Cerakote v-136

Wicked Wheel 2 installed went together with no problems sits a little taller in the housing.

this week the whole bottom end goes to the shop to get put together sleeved, balanced, aligned honed, typ4 cam, cant wait till its back together and roaring.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to reduce the inlet fuel pressure to under 5psi to stop my injector pump advance from activating to soon... I have a 90cc pump and a electric pump and it was acting strangely when I had the pressure at 7 to 8 psi. when I reduced it to 4psi it acts correctly... My pump guy told me anything more than 4psi will cause this symptom on a pump with stock advance parts as the pump uses it's internal pump case pressure to activate the system. I put a regulator after the T to the return line orifice on the way to the IP and this fixed my problem.. oh my fuel system is custom it runs thru a 2micron filter at full pressure then T's one line goes thru the regulator to the IP the other has the little brass orifice from the stock fuel filter head to the return to the tank it's set in a vertical position so any air exits thru the orifice to the return system. Just a bit of info use it if you wish...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online