Finally got a real truck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if I can just bring the two return lines together with a T fitting to save having to buy and swap to the replacement pump reservoir?
not a good idea.
any resistance in the return flow out of the hydro has been linked to the brakes dragging. i'll find the thread with the diagnostic on the problem.
check out the parts bin, the reservoir with the extra return nipple is listed there. I've used non hydro pumps for years with no detriment to the braking or steering performance.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspected that might be the case. A friend of mine ran into exactly that problem with a hydroboost swap on his yota. Thanks!

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the hydroboost system last night.

The truck stops freaking great now! I can lock up the brakes with out effort and that was not possible no matter how strong you were before.

You must be registered for see images

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metalmacguyver what year model truck did the system come out of? and did it come out of the f350 or f450?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
metalmacguyver what year model truck did the system come out of? and did it come out of the f350 or f450?
f450's are the only donor if you want a bolt-in deal. any 88-97 will do.
there's been guys who have put in the '99 and up hydro but not without much work. the same goes for installing the GM hydro.
check out the tech articles for Full Monte's writeup on putting in a hydro.
I can put one in in one afternoon. that includes the consumption of a 12pack on a warm day.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey you do know about RC-truck up here in brockton?they have the patch panels for your bed for short money.alot easier and cheaper than cutting them out of another bed.they also had a ton of IDIs a year ago.they dont crush stuff that often so they most likely still have them all.if not i can bring you there or tell you how to get there then get to rte-106 that will run right down to 27 to 3A.they have all the aftermarket replacement parts.there is also a spring shop out here that bends ubolts for fairly cheap.dont waste your time and energy fighting old rusted ubolts to save them when you dont need too.if you want to waste some fuel i can show you where you can get almost anything you need up here.one issue i had down in plymouth is that there wasnt anything down there.hard to find the things i needed when i needed them,where up here i can find everything i need with a 5 minute drive.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DAYUM:eek:

Ya didn't waste no time with that mod.;Sweet

no kidding.dont know what he payed for that setup but he couldve waited a couple days and i wouldve gave him the booster and master that ive been carting around as a spare for my truck.the vac brakes on my psd work just fine,actually they work better than my superduty.my superduty will not lock up the brakes untill about 6 seconds after i mash the pedal to the floor.but mash the all stop pedal in the psd and your kissing the dash :eek: .i did one hydroboost swap on that f350 i did the cab swap on.i was never happy with it.the owner was.but i wasnt.it never seemed right.the rear brakes never worked no matter what i did to it.i even ran 2 gallons of fluid through the system.the new owners supposedly got it working right but i still see that truck around and still see the driver hitting the brakes for a stop half a mile before the sign or light.so it must not be working all that great yet.:dunno :confused: i was gonna do it to my psd but after that truck i aint doing it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff. I've added a link to this thread in our Hydroboost Tech Article.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
This is one of the next mods I plan to do. I noticed parts in listed in the parts bin too, time to start collecting! :)

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This particular booster came out of a 1992 F-superduty (450).

I used www.car-part.com to locate the parts. I have had very good luck with them in the past and this time was no exception.

Thanks for all the kind comments. ;Sweet

94f450sd-I may take you up on that offer for parts. I want to do this swap on my ranger too!

I think that one major time saver for me was that I left the PSpump in the truck when swapping the reservoir. Yes it made a bit of a mess but my truck is already covered in grime beneath that anyway. I caught all the fluid that came down under the truck and wiped it up as best I could.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no kidding.dont know what he payed for that setup but he couldve waited a couple days and i wouldve gave him the booster and master that ive been carting around as a spare for my truck.the vac brakes on my psd work just fine,actually they work better than my superduty.my superduty will not lock up the brakes untill about 6 seconds after i mash the pedal to the floor.but mash the all stop pedal in the psd and your kissing the dash :eek: .i did one hydroboost swap on that f350 i did the cab swap on.i was never happy with it.the owner was.but i wasnt.it never seemed right.the rear brakes never worked no matter what i did to it.i even ran 2 gallons of fluid through the system.the new owners supposedly got it working right but i still see that truck around and still see the driver hitting the brakes for a stop half a mile before the sign or light.so it must not be working all that great yet.:dunno :confused: i was gonna do it to my psd but after that truck i aint doing it.
rich-
if your hydro is playing catch up with you, it's time to replace it.
nice thing about a hydro is the unit will give you plenty of warning before it completely fails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online