Finally fixed my clutch!

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
Ever since I got my truck the shifting in it has been horrible. It would grind, sometimes just refuse to go into gear, and other times not disengage the clutch completely. And the clutch would disengage all the way at the floor, if I let up on the pedal at all it would start rolling. It's a '90 F350 with the ZF5.

My wife's grandpa replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder for me right after I got it (it used to be his truck) and it didn't fix it. Still had all the same problems. Well the master cylinder rod bushing finally failed the other day, naturally while I was on my way to go get an inspection. When I was putting a new one on I realized I had to push my clutch pedal down about 3/4 of an inch to get it to mate up with the master cylinder rod.

Long story short, I replaced the lever tonight that the master cylinder rod connects to and made sure that the clutch pedal was all the way up and I pushed a much slack out of the rod as I could by hand. Now my clutch sits all the way up like it should and only has about 1/4 inch of downward play in the pedal. It had that before along with the 3/4 inch less pedal was getting. All the 1/4 inch play is, is what I couldn't push out of the rod by hand when connecting everything back together.

Now the clutch engages and disengages about halfway down! And me being short (5'4") I can use all the extra height I can get in the pedal. It was enough for me to be able to scoot my seat back one notch and I almost killed it a few times my first drive because it drives completely different.

I know this may not be the case most of the time, just wanted to share my experience so maybe someone else will get some use out of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar issue when I got my truck. It ended up on mine that the holes the pivot rod for the peddles goes thru had elongated. Bought a new bracket assembly from LMC (only place I could find one). That was 8+ years ago, still awesome.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The peddle bushings really needs to be in good shape to get the best from the clutch. Also think about the peddle travel to the amount of clutch dis engagement. About 6 inches of peddle travel is about 60 to 80 thousands pressure plate travel. Some impressive advantage at your foot.

Andrew Fort

Reaction score
I checked all the other bushings on the rod and everything else looked great. The only problem was where that lever was. That extra inch or more of clutch is all I needed. I can actually put it into reverse now without any issue at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk